Rephashy liquid calcium help

Status
Not open for further replies.

MissCutiePatootie

Hatchling Member
I've made two batches of liquid calcium using the rephashy liquid calcium powder, a gram scale and bottled water. I must be doing something wrong...

The first time I made it I mixed 60ml of bottled water with 18 grams of the liquid calci powder and stored it in the fridge. The next day it was crystallized. I thought I did something wrong so I made it again.

The second time I heated 60ml of bottled water and mixed 18 grams of the liquid calci powder and left it out over night. When I checked on it this morning it smelled like vinegar??

Am I not supposed to use water?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It sounds like the mix ratio might be off but 18g for 60ml is right according to the directions. Here are the instructions pulled from their site

"This product is designed to be mixed into a 30% solution. (3 g / 10 mL, 30 g / 100 mL, 300 g / L). You can mix only what you need but amounts less than 100 mL will require very accurate measurement. YOU WILL NEED A SCALE TO USE THIS PRODUCT ACCURATELY. Add half total desired volume of water to container, then add weighed amount of RescueCal + to water while stirring, and then top off water to desired volume. It can take up to 30 minutes for the minerals to fully dissolve in water. Starting with HOT water will decrease this time but is not necessary.

Refrigeration will extend freshness"

Perhaps using half of the water then adding the powder and mixing and then topping off will help. If it still isn't creating a proper solution you might want to contact Repashy for advice.

MissCutiePatootie

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
CooperDragon":v6ao1hi8 said:
It sounds like the mix ratio might be off but 18g for 60ml is right according to the directions. Here are the instructions pulled from their site
Good to know I at least got the measurement right according to their directions I suppose haha!

"This product is designed to be mixed into a 30% solution. (3 g / 10 mL, 30 g / 100 mL, 300 g / L). You can mix only what you need but amounts less than 100 mL will require very accurate measurement. YOU WILL NEED A SCALE TO USE THIS PRODUCT ACCURATELY. Add half total desired volume of water to container, then add weighed amount of RescueCal + to water while stirring, and then top off water to desired volume. It can take up to 30 minutes for the minerals to fully dissolve in water. Starting with HOT water will decrease this time but is not necessary.

Refrigeration will extend freshness"

Perhaps using half of the water then adding the powder and mixing and then topping off will help. If it still isn't creating a proper solution you might want to contact Repashy for advice.
I tried doing half water at a time but still no good. =/ I contacted Repashy before this post and haven't gotten a response. I also contacted Beardeddragon.co and no response from them either. So I contacted Tracie and she's been so so helpful!

Turns out the liquid calcium mixture going off of the directions is way way too potent and Tracie formulated a much safer dose for my guy. And it just so happens the premade liquid calcium I was using before from beardeddragon.co is dosed at "recommended reptile dosage : 23mg/kg" It says "1cc per kg or 0.1cc per 100 grams of body weight. Give one dose by mouth every 12 - 24 hours." and this amount is too much as well. I had no idea! Always double check the calcium you're using with someone knowledgeable! It's pretty scary how easy it is to incorrectly dose an animal if you can't trust the manufacturer label.

As always, thanks for the response CooperDragon! :)

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Wow that's disappointing that their instructions were off. Thanks to Tracie for getting it sorted out for you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom