Butter worms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lorilyn

Hatchling Member
I have been looking to expand what I offer to feed Biggs on a regular basis. Mostly because she decided she has had enough Dubia and refuses to eat them. Seems like she loves the super worms and I recently ordered and receive Butter Worms and Nutri Grubs, and Horn worms. I am not sure about Butter worms. Are they good to have as feeders and not treats and is it normal that they made a webbing in the saw dust that they came in? Do they need to be gut loaded? And are they kept in fridge or is it better to keep them on counter? And also same questions about the nutri grubs. It says no need to feed but it seems strange not to feed them.

I feel like I am majoring in Bearded Dragon college with a minor in bugs! :lol:

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The butter worms are OK as a treat but I don't offer them much. The webbing is normal for them. I used to just keep them in the container they arrived in (Same with the nutri grubs) and they were fine. I keep butterworms in the wine fridge in the low 50s. The bsfl/nutri grubs I just keep in the container at room temps.

Lorilyn

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thank you. I am going crazy trying to find different staple feeders. She keeps refusing to eat Dubia this entire past month, now refuses to eat the BFSL/nutri grubs, and has decided she will only eat superworms, horn worms, butter worms, and the occasional treats of wax worms. She always eats her greens too thank the Dragon gods. When do the protein feedings drop to once a day? She is 7 months old now, 19 inches and about 350 grams ( she won’t stay still on the scale and jumps right off)

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Probably pretty soon at that size. Generally they approach full size between about 12-18 months but that can vary. If she's 19'' long then she might grow another inch or two but will likely start adding more weight. Maybe a couple hundred more grams over the next several months. That varies too though. At around 12 months I usually recommend moving to 1 bug meal per day and then slowly reducing that to once or twice per week over the next 6 months after that. If she's already good about eating salads that should help quite a bit and even now you can probably reduce to one feeding along with salads if she's eating them.

Lorilyn

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks. She seems to like the butterworms so I’m trying to be a healthy mom and only give her 2 a day (1 am and 1 pm) and mix in the superworms and today she ate a few Dubia also. She has always liked her salad but won’t touch fruit yet (the one time she tried a blueberry she spit it out and gave me the cold shoulder LOL)
One more question if you don’t mind, how do I gut load super worms? They come in a cup filled with saw dust. The pet store told me they don’t need to be fed but why wouldn’t I feed something I feed to my pet? And this is the same place that told me bearded dragons should only be fed live food once a few times a month no matter how old they are.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's not really easy to gutload supers. They will eat their substrate but they need hydration too so it's good to put some fresh greens on top for them or cut up some carrot. They seem to like carrot slices quite a bit from what I've seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom