Cricket keeping...

Status
Not open for further replies.

SlimShady

Crickets are gross and stuff, and i want to put 40+ crickets in my spare 10 gallon tank for my dragon so Im wondering if there is way to keep the cage from smelling without cleaning it often...
Thanks!

Beardy815

Im not super exprienced and this doesn't answer your question but if possible I'd switch to Dubia roaches. When I first got my dragon I used crickets but they die so easily and she would give up chasing occasionally and you cant leave them in tank. Dubia roaches have been sooooo much easier

Catzo

If youre stuck in a country where dubia roaches are illegal like me and you have to use crickets, theres no reason to use a 10 gallon for only 40 crickets. I dont know how old your beardie is but mine eats 50 a day, hes about 5 months old. If youre going to use a 10g buy 250 or 500 and get a bulk discount.

There is no way to stop it smelling without regular cleaning. You can keep them outside in the shade or the garage but i still lose a ton from overheating in the summer and i live in canada. I hate keeping crickets in my house. And id rather throw out the cricket keeper and get a new one every week.

So nowadays I just buy a new batch of 50 crickets every single day. Theres a pet store near my work I can go on lunch. And another just a few min off my commute.
On the weekends Ill drive out 10min to the pet store its a hassle but i dont care I hate keeping crickets. They suck and theres not much to do about that. Can't wait until he is big enough that i can start subbing in superworms.

If you still want to keep crickets id buy a little cricket keeper for $10 and just buy 2 or 3 days worth of crickets at a time so they have less time to die and poop and gunk up the keeper and then fill it with bleach solution and spray with a hose from a distance at the end of those 3 days. Btw, they WILL escape. Its just going to happen. Even buying 1 days worth at a time and throwing them all into the tank and closing the lid immediately i still have one somewhere in this room right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom