Silkworms / chow

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently got 1000 silkworm eggs and plan to breed them so they can become my beardie’s staple. Most of the eggs hatched already and I put some chow in with them they are all over it. However it’s taking a really long time for them to grow bigger than the 2mm black worm they hatch as. Am I doing something wrong or does it just take a really long time to grow? I wondered if I prepared the chow right (I got the powder). Is it supposed to be hard and solid or more like a hard cheese?
The following information would be greatly appreciated:

-how long do silkworm hatchlings take to get a decent size (white)?

- how much chow do they eat and how fast?

-what is the texture of the chow supposed to be like?

-accurate instructions for preparing chow incase i did it wrong.

Thanks in advance.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I haven't raised silks so I can't answer all of your questions but there are a few walkthroughs on here from Kingofnobbys that may help. He prefers offering mulberry leaves if you can get them. I've prepared chow for silks before and it usually comes out as the consistency of clay. I like to roll this up into some plastic wrap and freeze it in logs. Then I can just take the frozen log and run it over a grater/microplane and spread it into the bin with the silks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom