What feeder insect should I breed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salmon26

This has probably been asked a thousand times so I am sorry lol
I just bought 500 crickets which my bea rdie finishes in less than a month and this can get expensive. I want to start breeding my own feeder insects but I know crickets stink... and it's to cold to house them outside I think. We have lows in the 50s right now. So would you guys still suggest breeding crickets or switching to Dubia or super worms? Also if you have any tips for breeding please tell me lol. Now I don't know anything about dubia roaches but I have read that they seem to be the healthiest but the hardest to breed.
My bearded dragon (AK 47) is his name is 12 inch and eats 20-30 crickets a day which I feel like still isn't enough he acts like he's starving.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Silkworms are very good insects to use as staple feeder insect.

A large silkworm is good meal for a dragon :
A medium sized silkworm will be about 2in long and is a lot of protein cf a medium sized cricket

A 30mm long silkworm is 0.5g = 2-3 medium crickets (12x MED = 3g)
A 40mm long silkworm is 1.3g = 5-6 medium crickets
a 2 inch long silkworm is 1.8g
a large silkworm about 3in is 2.3g = 8 - 10 medium crickets

My basis is 1/3 size crickets = medium size.

From egg to big enough to be used by a hatching your beardie's size (ie 30mm long worm) will only take about month. See my thread here : viewtopic.php?f=76&t=222193 , will show you how I do my silkworm breeding and raising.
I no longer buy silkworms or eggs, I simply havest my own eggs and refrigerate til needed, and just buy about 200 mulberry leaves every month or two. (I've kept mulberry leaves in the crisper for over 2 months and still had good leaves for the worms to eat.)

I know lizard breeders who breed their own roaches and crickets , I can't be bothered, I order 1000x medium crickets every few weeks for my gang, and also buy BSFL , mealworms and superworms on a regular basis. Live insects are part of the deal when keeping lizards such as dragons, skinks, geckos, monitors as pets.

Salmon26

Original Poster
I had no idea silkworms had that much protien thank you so much for this information. I'll read your article and hope I'm successful with breeding them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bugluvr3
Top Bottom