Dubia roaches dying

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beardeddtagonlover

Hatchling Member
Hi I'm open to suggestions on why my feeder dubias are dying I bought dubias from a local breeder on Craig's list I'm getting like 10 deaths a day the dry chow I make is a bit of Purina dog food oatmeal and zoomed bearded dragon pellets I was using wheat bran but I switched also I'm using a 40 watt che the temps are between 80 to 85, in the cold end is low to mid 70,s I give them apples,carrots and potatoes I give them water crystals as well most of them I find them death in the cold side,also I used to store crickets on this same bin same way ,same food and they were fine also before I put my roaches I used f10 sc but I rinsed the bin twice I also bought a colony of dubias I store them in another bin same food but on this one I got a heat pad on the side and a che on the other end but the cold side still low to mid 70,s and there doing fine you think maybe this roaches are sick,? And I'm wondering if the fs10 is toxic to insects but i also used it on the other bin so that can't be it also a few days,ago I took all the roaches out to take the ones that were almost dead and my bin was dry but after I put the roaches there they were very oily I use sterelite 20 gallon bins and there black with aluminum mesh screen.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's possible they are sick. Is it adult roaches dying or all sizes? I would try feeding them just veges for a bit and see if that helps. Give them some chopped up squash, leftover greens, and maybe an occasional orange or banana and see how they do with that. It's possibly something in their food stream that is causing a problem so making that as basic and hydrating as possible using fresh veges and fruit might help.

Beardeddtagonlover

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
thanks this roaches i bought there all 3/4 of inch and some a bit bigger the dry food i give them is the same for both bins only diference they come from a diferent breeder either way i bought 1000 of them they should last me another 2 to 3 weeks i get no more then 10 deaths per day so far my dragon ate about 100 and i probably lost 100 so i got like 800 left i was just wondering.

Lorilyn

Hatchling Member
Could just be a coincidence but my order of Dubia are dying at an extremly fast rate. Ordered 500 and they usually last almost 2 weeks and I lost over 100 and only have a few live left.

Beardeddtagonlover

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
ok thats a big problem today i had no deaths i do keep them at around 80 degrees and make sure they have food and water crystals.try contacting the seller and see if you guys can work something out.it could be shipping stress i imagine.

Beardeddtagonlover

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
This is an update on this topic yea when i bought 1000 roaches about 100 of them died but it stopped since then i had,about 200 left they were to big for my beardie and i threw them back in my colony and i pulled the smaller ones and my colony is thriving very nicely one thing i learned is not so much the heat as long as you keep the enclosure 80 to 85 is fine but keep them well fed thats the key i find every 2nd day i give them food.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'm glad it stabilized. Yeah they do go through a lot of food. They are quite good at taking care of kitchen scraps for me!

Beardeddtagonlover

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
hey guys the dubias are not dying anymore but i got a question i got lots of what appears to be maggots on my bin im going to clean it sunday morning is the maggots bad?i know they grown within the apples i ussully clean my bins every 2 months so there due i know humans eat maggots in the wild to survive im just wondering if they carry any parasites.

rjs5134

In researching my own dub die-off issue I came across this thread.

Based on my limited experience I think the "maggots" you found are fruit flies. When I feed any sort of soft fruit like apples regularly I tend to get fruit flies. I try to keep carrots as a staple for them to eat at all times but supplement with oranges, butternut squash, apples and sometimes bananas or melons.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom