Questions about phoenix worms being shipped to me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shidohari

Hatchling Member
Just ordered 400 large BSFL from Basset Cricket Farm via AMAZON.COM. They should arrive between Monday and Thursday of next week.

If it works out alternating between the BSFL and the Butterworms as protein those would be my main two feeders going forward. I do have some small ceramic bowls that I can put into the enclosure to have the BSFL stay in until she wants to eat them or may do them the one at a time method that I use for mealworms using the tongs. Didn't want to get too big or two small an amount to start out in case she doesn't like them.

question though, my house is always maintained about 70-72F for room temps. will that speed up the pupitation time. I know it's about a month for them to all change forms at room temps so just checking I don't have a way to do a wine cooler method to keep them between 50-60F

Also the shipper states they ship in nutrient rich soil so that they don't need to be 'fed'. can that harm beardies and cause impaction? is there a safe way around that, if that could cause impaction to beardies?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The phoenix worms are good and will keep for a while at room temps. I don't usually put mine in the wine fridge unless I'm not going to offer them for a while. They eventually turn into flies but they are slow moving and easy to catch. Those are good to offer as a treat as well. They just kind of do their thing in the soil they come with and don't need any fuss. It's best to separate them from the soil before feeding them either by brushing them off or putting them in a sieve or mesh strainer to shake the soil loose. If you use water to rinse them be aware that they will become stickier and can climb much better when they are wet. I would limit the butter worms to an occasional treat though.

Shidohari

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thank you I will have to remember to dry shake them then. I'll probably have to invest in a separate mesh strainer then for this, as I don't want to use the one I use when I wash rice for this.

If you have any other ideas please let me know, also do you know how fast they turn into flies at room temperature on average? This is another reason I only got 400.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It really depends on how old they are when they arrive and their general conditions I think. I'd say in general they start to turn to flies in a month or so. They hatch in batches though so it's a handful at a time for another month or so until they're all gone. I just leave them in the container and pull out some flies as they hatch and offer those.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pooper
Top Bottom