I need help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NuJohn321

Okay so ive been buying crickets from the local pet shop since i got my beardie over the weekend i found out about buying them in bulk and way cheaper orderd them then saw dubai roaches, saw they were a better feeder they also dont stink etc. So i also orderd a colony of dubai roaches a day later. Figured let it grow while i fed the crickets. Yesterday morning i got an email saying what i paid for couldnt be shipped because i lived in florida. Now im looking for one similar like discoid roaches i believe theyre called OR someome who'll send me some "beetles" to fl ;) But anyone have or had same problem living in this topical climate
Edit: Crap forgot to mention, i can't really find the other roaches online to buy

KeyBlu422

Juvie Member
Yeah discoids and certain other Florida legal Roaches do make decent replacements. I can dig up a link for a seller of discoids if you really need it but a simple search will also give you many discoid roach sellers. On a side note, crickets tend to not stink if they're given good ventilation, the dead are picked up(which not many will die with good care, though online cricket vendors tend to have hardier crickets for some reason), and the cage/storage container they're housed in is cleaned on a weekly basis. The whole "crickets always stink" thing is exaggerated and mostly a selling point for roach suppliers. Cricket keepers at pet stores are okay for storing small amounts of crickets but a 24 x 18 1/2 x 15 e/4 storage tote(18 gal) with some aluminum screening, egg flats, and cricket food and water crystals can comfortably house a few hundred crickets and keep crickets from killing each other.

NuJohn321

Original Poster
Must just be the pet store then
But i was told theres also the route of BSFL is that another replacement for crickets?
I thought so as that my tiny cricket container reallt didnt stink but figured 500 would then. I bought a 20 gal container for them mesh and stuff.

KeyBlu422

Juvie Member
NuJohn321":ag5syj7r said:
Must just be the pet store then
But i was told theres also the route of BSFL is that another replacement for crickets?
I thought so as that my tiny cricket container reallt didnt stink but figured 500 would then. I bought a 20 gal container for them mesh and stuff.

Cool, pet store crickets tend to stink because the crickets they received were shipped to them and they don't take proper care of the crickets when they arrive. So, since the crickets are constantly around poop and the dead, I believe it shortens their lifespan. BSFL are an option but be sure to go with ones that are stapleworthy like Phoenix worms and maybe repti worms. BSFL like calci worms contain too much calcium to be used as a staple. Note that not all beardies will take the worms and sometimes they may be small but most of the time the dragons Will take the worms

NuJohn321

Original Poster
Thank you! The crickets came into today got them housed and no stink really! I also had horn worms shipped with the crickets. Trying them aswell. He eats the mealworms but we stopped giving them due to hearing they are bad and i believed it because hakunas poop was runnier after the mealworms. Thank you for the help might just stay on crickets

KeyBlu422

Juvie Member
NuJohn321":3r0mj3yv said:
Thank you! The crickets came into today got them housed and no stink really! I also had horn worms shipped with the crickets. Trying them aswell. He eats the mealworms but we stopped giving them due to hearing they are bad and i believed it because hakunas poop was runnier after the mealworms. Thank you for the help might just stay on crickets

No problem! Glad I could help. My beardy has never gotten hornworms but I'm considering getting him some too, tell me if your dragon likes them. ?

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
NuJohn321":ojhod380 said:

Crickets are not smelly if you look after them, this means making sure you have in a large enough tub or keeper , and you remove anything that's going mouldy (ie old bits of carrot) and any obviously sick or dead crickets before they have a chance to "go off" .... have you smelt bad prawns .... much the same smell.

So I buy my crickets online 1000 at a time and immediately put them into 600ml empty used cleaned crickets tubs (I used to buy my crickets from petshops and kept many tubs when empty - handy to store stuff in , grow seedlings in). So 80 - 90 crickets per tub, and I check them every few fays (fresh carrot, fresh beardie pellets for them to eat and I remove any that are sick or dead).
This works for me.

1000 crickets will last my 4 lizards about 3 weeks.

NuJohn321

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":31j7uz50 said:
NuJohn321":31j7uz50 said:

Crickets are not smelly if you look after them, this means making sure you have in a large enough tub or keeper , and you remove anything that's going mouldy (ie old bits of carrot) and any obviously sick or dead crickets before they have a chance to "go off" .... have you smelt bad prawns .... much the same smell.

So I buy my crickets online 1000 at a time and immediately put them into 600ml empty used cleaned crickets tubs (I used to buy my crickets from petshops and kept many tubs when empty - handy to store stuff in , grow seedlings in). So 80 - 90 crickets per tub, and I check them every few fays (fresh carrot, fresh beardie pellets for them to eat and I remove any that are sick or dead).
This works for me.

1000 crickets will last my 4 lizards about 3 weeks.
Thanks for the info! I had bought 500 just cleaned their tanks. Was a bit rough getting all into another container to clean it out. But i did it and lost a few aha

NuJohn321

Original Poster
KeyBlu422":3q4qqmq2 said:
NuJohn321":3q4qqmq2 said:

No problem! Glad I could help. My beardy has never gotten hornworms but I'm considering getting him some too, tell me if your dragon likes them. ?
Advice for the hormworms my beardie is pretty small almost two months of age wanted the tiny hornworms figured they could grow but not too much since my beardie isnt that biggest. Well overnight they grew so big. Now three days later i dont know what to do with em. He also hasnt eaten any. Dont know if he doesnt like the color or what but he only licked one.

KeyBlu422

Juvie Member
NuJohn321":1p03xulv said:
KeyBlu422":1p03xulv said:
NuJohn321":1p03xulv said:

Advice for the hormworms my beardie is pretty small almost two months of age wanted the tiny hornworms figured they could grow but not too much since my beardie isnt that biggest. Well overnight they grew so big. Now three days later i dont know what to do with em. He also hasnt eaten any. Dont know if he doesnt like the color or what but he only licked one.

Ah, that's strange. I've usually heard that dragons like their green color. But hey, I've never used them and every dragon seems to differ in likings or behavior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom