Butter worms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shidohari

Hatchling Member
I just bought 1 50 count container of butter worms from an online vendor to see if My 9-10 inch female will take to them. If so i'll be feeding them intermittently with the mealworms i currently use for protein. The FAQ sheet was right 50 after shipping was 25-30 dollars.

Hopefully she'll take to them so i can feed them a couple at a time so she gets better protein into her system.

I need the refrigerated feeders so that way there's no chance of overpopulation and spread to the other units in the building. Even though i'd be meticulous I'd rather be safe than sorry.

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Hi. I would nix the meal,worms. They cause impaction. You can use Phoenix worms. Don't worry about feeders multiplying. She'll finish them before it ever gets that way. I have 3 and never had a problem with feeders reproducing.

Shidohari

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Do you have a affordable and reliable supplier you'd suggest for medium phoenix worms (my beardie is between 9-10 inches) with low loss. I live in KY and right now it's a little cold to ship live feeders.

I just haven't gotten any feeders that don't require refrigeration because I live in a one bedroom condo with other units in the same building. I don't want to risk any of them turning into flies and spreading to other units in the building.

Shidohari

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Just ordered 400 large BSFL from Basset Cricket Farm via AMAZON.COM. They should arrive between Monday and Thursday of next week.

If it works out alternating between the BSFL and the Butterworms as protein those would be my main two feeders going forward. I do have some small ceramic bowls that I can put into the enclosure to have the BSFL stay in until she wants to eat them or may do them the one at a time method that I use for mealworms using the tongs. Didn't want to get too big or two small an amount to start out in case she doesn't like them.

question though, my house is always maintained about 70-72F for room temps. will that speed up the pupitation time. I know it's about a month for them to all change forms at room temps so just checking I don't have a way to do a wine cooler method to keep them between 50-60F

Shidohari

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Also the shipper states they ship in nutrient rich soil so that they don't need to be 'fed'. can that harm beardies and cause impaction? is there a safe way around that, if that could cause impaction to beardies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom