Silk Worms as a Staple

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I was looking into breeding silk worms for my BD, but the pet store told me definitely not to feed them as a staple because they are only a treat and very fatty.

However, I have done a lot of research on silk worms and i heard that they are actually one of the best staple feeders for bearded dragons, and contains around the same fat as a cricket.

What I have found with a lot of stuff related to bearded dragons, is that a lot of people have different opinions and some stuff hasn't been proven. For example, feeding quantities and schedules. So I ask that any advice given is proven information that you have experience with and not just what you've heard. Basically, I want information that you know is true.

The store is called "Jackie's Reptiles and critters" (or something like that) and it's in Bowmanville, Ontario, Canada. And she has told me various things that a lot of other places disagrees with, so I'm not sure if I should listen to her about silk worms being a staple or not. If anyone lives in the area and has had previous experience with this store, and weather they had the store tell them untrue info, please tell me.

Basically, my main question, is weather silk worms can be used as a staple feeder, (95% of the time), or if they should be just used as treats. Please use information that you know is true.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I like to offer silk worms whenever I can get them. They tend to be seasonal and their availability is intermittent though. If you want to offer them regularly I think that's fine health wise but you may want to purchase eggs and hatch/raise them in batches so you always have some available. It helps to have a source for fresh mulberry leaves too. I would offer other bugs to introduce as much variety as possible into the diet for best health but the silks are a healthy option as far as I'm concerned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go88app
Top Bottom