How many feeders do you give?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lilo12

So I'm curious about how many of each feeder insect do you give your adult dragons in one feeding session? Such as I give my girl 2 to 3 large discoid roaches (they're big) or 5 or 6 superworms (rarely offered) or 3-4 hornworms or I'll give her how ever many BSFL she wants. I just want to see if I'm giving enough or maybe too many feeders at one time. I feed her bugs twice a week and she gets greens daily. She is also a bit overweight so I try not to give her alot. I also mix up the protein so she gets one type of bug during one feeding and then another type of bug with the next feeding.

How many do you give your dragon?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I give my guy all he wants in a sitting about once a week or so. He gets veges every day. He usually winds up eating 5-10 large dubias but that varies quite a bit depending on his mood.

Lilo12

Original Poster
Thanks for the reply Cooper!

I guess I am not giving her enough then. I assume the dubias are about the same size as the discoid full grown? The ones I got were about an 1 1/2 inch to 2 inches so I worried about giving her too many in one go. But then again she chews them really well

I've been considering just buying them online so that I could give her a smaller size but I don't really want that many roaches in case they start breeding and I have a ton of roaches and one dragon lol (I usually buy about 10 at a time at the petstore, bloody expensive too! Lol) but then the shipping cost doesn't really make it worth it for like 10 or 20 of them. I don't know where this pet store gets theirs and they sell out so fast as they're the only ones that have them in my area.

My next option would be crickets cause I can buy smaller quantities for cheaper and not worry about size but they stink, are loud, and escape, and carry parasites which is the main reason I've never given her crickets since I've had her. But then I also rotate the bug type about every week or try too at least. The pet store has been having trouble getting certain bugs in.

Lol this has been my dilemma the past few weeks.

But i went to repticon last weekend and saw a lot of cool things and bought a good supply of worms that I couldn't get at the pet store, though no discoids, a lot of people in Florida are seemingly having a very hard time getting their colonies going ?

92897-3282302604.jpg

My brother got a new camera and took this pic of her looking out the window, so cute! ? thanks for reading this long post

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I haven't seen a discoid but I think they are similar if maybe slightly smaller. The adult dubia can get fairly big (almost the length of my thumb) but an adult dragon can chew them apart pretty easily. Based on experience I'd avoid crickets due to the hassle to care for them. If you're having trouble finding discoids you might look around for some other options like banana roaches, death head roaches, or horseshoe crab roaches. They would all make decent feeders but I'm not sure what the cost or availability are. Worth checking into though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom