mealworms?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bogathedragon

Hatchling Member
i have heard a fair share of people saying "mealworms are bad!" and "mealworms will impact or kill your dragon!" i just wanted to know what you guys think. i have been feeding my beardie superworms for about a year which is basically how long i have had him, but wanted to not have to put the worms in medicine schedule things just to make beetles, and i know for me that mealworms are easier because i used to have turtles that ate them, but i wanted to know other people opinions on mealworms for bearded dragons. thanks!!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
They aren't likely to cause impaction except in dehydrated or very young dragons. They aren't the most nutritious feeder though. They are OK to add to the diet on rotation with other bugs (variety is good) but I wouldn't rely on them as a staple feeder. Crickets or roaches are better for staples. I like to add silk worms and black soldier fly larvae to the diet on rotation as well (and hornworms for adults).

Bogathedragon

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
CooperDragon":15wfk96b said:
They aren't likely to cause impaction except in dehydrated or very young dragons. They aren't the most nutritious feeder though. They are OK to add to the diet on rotation with other bugs (variety is good) but I wouldn't rely on them as a staple feeder. Crickets or roaches are better for staples. I like to add silk worms and black soldier fly larvae to the diet on rotation as well (and hornworms for adults).
great! thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom