Dubia Gone Wild! Any idea why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taffer

Hatchling Member
Good day ladies and gentlemen,

I telework 40-60 hours a week from home with my Dubia colony close enough to me I can literally touch it with my elbow without hitting the armrest on the chair. Point being, I have a LOT of time to observe the actions of my Dubia in close proximity. I spend probably a couple of hours or more every day with the lid off the bin and glance over at them while I'm working. I have a 57 gallon bin that is close to overflowing with Dubia, so I didn't expect to see much new in my Dubia action in how they go about their daily lives, until about an hour ago.

About 2 hours ago, my Dubia went from their normal walking speed and action to almost literally EVERY DUBIA is going absolutely nuts, running around at near full speed frequently as if being chased by a predator. There are always a few on the screen, maybe 5-10, but at this moment there are probably well over a hundred. They are climbing over top of each other to the point they are almost getting over the final tape barrier at the top because of this assistive climbing effort. They are louder than they have ever been too. I've had to push a few back down because they were getting close to the escape point. I've seen more males jump and fly from surfaces in any 5 minute period than I've seen in the entire past 15 months I've had a Dubia colony. The normal odors I've smelled over the past year at any time has changed to one of almost sweet/sour...not really sure how else to explain it. It reminds me of the smell of Bristol, TN back in the 80's when I was a teenager visiting my grandmother there. I think there was a factory of some kind.

Anyway, any idea why these Dubia are going nuts all the sudden? They have been like this for about 2 hours now and are not really showing much sign of slowing down.

Update - this reminds me more of a prison riot than anything else LOL.

Taffer

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Well, I'm assuming for the moment that some of the leftover greens I fed the Dubia may have had some mold on them. They were in good condition last night when I put them in the refrigerator, and just barely to the point that they didn't look fresh enough for me to eat myself. After I posted earlier there was evidence of the Dubia having some diarrhea and some have flipped over and are weakly trying to turn right side up so I'm assuming my colony is sick for the moment. I removed all the egg crates and a bulk of the Dubia to an empty bin and removed as many of the greens as I could and gave them their roach chow. They were running around like they were on some kind of stimulants. Guess I'll know tomorrow just how far the damage goes.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It sounds like they got startled. I'm not sure why food would do that but it's good that you're cleaning the tank out. Definitely don't want any mold growing in there either way. Do they have enough cardboard in there so they can space themselves out pretty well? Best not to let them get overcrowded either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bearded dragon
Top Bottom