How to: breed locusts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Picklepies

Hatchling Member
Hi all, I though I'd share my success! While the dragons are brumating, I thought it would be a perfect time to try and breed locusts, and I've currently got 20 new hatchlings, with more coming daily, and thought I'd share how I did it :)

Enclosure
30/30/45 cm (w/d/h) exo Terra with light hood
25w heat mat
LED bulb on 8h timer
6cm of damp coir
Twigs/wood for climbing

How to
1 box of sub adult locusts (large but not adult)
Mine reached adult size and matured in 2 weeks and started mating.
Mine only lay in damp soil so I spray it daily, when I add greens.
Make sure they get enough food, mine often covers the floor and they'll finish it in a day, and they'll breed and lay in no time.
After the first holes (showing they laid) appeared it took 10 days to see the first hatchlings, and a week later I have 20 babies, hatching ~5 a day.
So far I haven't had to replace the adults, but I have added 5 medium locusts, which will grow to adults (hopefully) before the originals die out.

Notes
The males did fight for dominance, going from ~8 to 2, but they get the job done, so i don't really bother about it
They do knock legs off each other, but doesn't seem to change much.
The babies may have hatched earlier, but they're really small and tbh its my husband who keeps me updated as to how many he can see! Could be loads more for all I know :D

Cost
I already have the enclosure and hood, but it originally cost £20 used about a year ago
The coir cost £1 from poundland and I used half a block
The initial locusts cost £3 for 15
Food (spring greens) 70p p/w
Energy usage is ~5p a week, I haven't really seen an increase, that number is from online calculator's

Overall cost
Initial outlay £24
Monthly £2.85

As I was spending ~£12-18 a week on locusts I'm hoping this will give a good saving overall :)
Any more questions feel free to ask and I hope this helps someone!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Good stuff, thanks for sharing! I don't think we have much info about locusts on here so hopefully this will be helpful to folks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jelynnm
Top Bottom