dubia roaches temperature too hot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peep18

the floor on my radar is about 107-110. but the stagnant temperature or however you say it is around 80-85 i see things that say good breeding temperature is around 90-95 is the 107-110 floor too hot? or will they be fine? and just breed in the middle where it is around 90-95?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
They'll probably move if it's too hot. There will be a layer of frass buildup that will provide insulation too. That said, my colony has thrived without such high temps. They have an overhead heat projector (no visible light) that keeps part of their housing in the 70s/80s and the rest of the tank is at cellar temps.

Peep18

Original Poster
CooperDragon":13xze1nw said:
They'll probably move if it's too hot. There will be a layer of frass buildup that will provide insulation too. That said, my colony has thrived without such high temps. They have an overhead heat projector (no visible light) that keeps part of their housing in the 70s/80s and the rest of the tank is at cellar temps.
alight i just dont want them to not want to get their food because its too hot so i moved half the pad off. ive seen websites say 80-85 all the way to 110-120 is good for breeding lol. seems like their is no old solid answer. guess ill just have to experiment

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yeah just try some different ranges out. I keep the food side cool partly to preserve the food for a bit. The other side has the cardboard housing and the heat lamp sits over that. The gradient seem to work. You'll have to play around with temps to see what they like best though. I haven't seem them hesitate for a second to go after food. Especially orange slices, bread slices, and squash. :lol:

76248-4768611197.jpg

In the summer I split the colony to test out a rubbermaid bin without any external heat (same half/half setup with housing and food) and they thrived in that setup too. They're all back in the main tank with the heat lamp now for the winter though.

76248-4958329354.jpg

lizardmom25

Hatchling Member
I am going to be setting up a breeding colony soon. (we are going to be feeding 4 reptiles from them so worth it IMO). Can you use a heat pad on a thermostat taped to the side of the enclosure to get the temps up? I have an extra flukers heat pad and thermostat I was thinking of taping to the side of a sterilite container to serve as a heat source.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
You can but the heat from a heating pad won't really radiate. If you use a pad, it's best to put it on the bottom to heat up the frass (which they will burrow in) and set it on a bakers rack or something similar that will allow airflow under the bin to help prevent overheating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom