How to keep worms(first timer here).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gretchen

Hatchling Member
Hey guys. So I places my first order from The Worm Lady out here in Ontario Canada for some Phoenix Worms (also known as black soldier fly larva) and Wax Worms for Gretchen. Heard they can be great escape artists so wondering what's the best way to keep them? I know mealworms when I do get them I put them in a zip lock container and I have poked holes in the top for air. And they lay dormat until I take them out and they start to feel some heat and come back to life.

Wondering if it's basically the same for these? Don't need the creepy crawlers roaming my fridge lol

Thank you ??
Krista

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I keep my black soldier fly larvae in the plastic container they arrive in. It has holes in the top and substrate for them to burrow in. I just keep them at room temp. I take out some worms to feed them (shake off the dirt or substrate in a sieve or just brush them clean). Eventually if they last long enough the worms hatch into flies which are slow moving and easy to catch. They make a really good treat.

Gretchen

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
CooperDragon":2ffmlvzb said:
I keep my black soldier fly larvae in the plastic container they arrive in. It has holes in the top and substrate for them to burrow in. I just keep them at room temp. I take out some worms to feed them (shake off the dirt or substrate in a sieve or just brush them clean). Eventually if they last long enough the worms hatch into flies which are slow moving and easy to catch. They make a really good treat.

Flies lol oh god lol haha ok I'll try what you said. The Worm Lady emailed me how to care for them and said I could do fridge also. I guess we'll see how they do at room temp first. How long until they are actual flies lol now I'm scared haha

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I wouldn't put them in a regular fridge. Wine fridge in the high 50s/60s is ok if you want to keep them from growing much. The flies are no big deal. They are so slow moving they're easy to catch. Darwin will hunt them right along the edges of the container. If they fly off you can just pinch them between your fingers to catch them. They usually just go to the nearest window. No big deal and they aren't nearly as fast as a house fly.

Yea. Since Spike isn’t eating as much as he used to due to brumation, I went to feed him some Phoenix worms the other day and not thinking just opened up the container. Out flew a black fly..I have yet to find it.
So yesterday, I opened it outside the back door and one flew out. Today 3 flew out.
Lol kinda startled me. But they are harmless and don’t live long which is good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom