Mites? From outside, what should I do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Idean12

I have several colonies of springtails and pillbugs/sowbugs, and one big colony with Dubias for breeding, tenebrio obscurus, lesser mealworms, demestid beetles, pillbugs, sowbugs, and springtails in it. Suddenly I've noticed that all of the colonies are infested with tiny red bugs that seem to be mites. They likely got into the house in the first place by hitchhiking with one of the freshly caught batches of pillbugs (I have about a thousand I gathered from my yard). Are these things dangerous to me or my insects? What should I do about them? Any advice would be much appreciated!

KeyBlu422

Juvie Member
Since mites take resources and latch on to the colony members, and the fact that the colonies can sometimes get rid of the mites but most of the time not, I'd recommend sorting through the colonies and removing ones that are somewhat healthy and don't have mites attached to them, a magnifier may help. Also, you may want to consider quarantining new Isopods and other insects you want to add to your colony in the future.

Idean12

Original Poster
Thanks! I got some advice about the mites and it seems I may have been providing my insects with too much fish food, the springtails, at least for the last 2 weeks, have been having the fish food get really moist and weren't eating it all, they used to finish everything I put in by the very next day! I also started grinding up my fish food with a coffee grinder so the amount I put in now might be much more than what I was putting in when I was just crushing it with my fingers. I'm going to try moving some springtails to a new bin with some isopods and hope that they grow without mites, or at least in a habitat that isn't suitable for the mites. I had someone identify the mites as possibly being hypoaspis spp. which wouldn't be a bad thing if they didn't eat springtails! The info on getting rid of the mites from dubia roaches is super helpful, thank you!

Idean12

Original Poster
oh, also, it seems that somehow nematodes have also entered the springtail colonies, I'm unsure about if they've entered the isopod and roach colonies. Should I be concerned about them? I do have video of them under a magnifying glass and tomorrow I'm hoping to get some video with them under a microscope if this site allows me to post videos.

KeyBlu422

Juvie Member
Also, when collecting leaves, you should bake them so that any pest like mites don't threaten your colony and instead die. Also, nematodes die from high heat but do well in warm, moist, conditions and can last in a place like the fridge even longer.

Idean12

Original Poster
Great idea with the baking, do you know how high I should make the temperature? I don't want the leaves catching fire in my oven! I'll probably wrap them in aluminum foil before baking them to help prevent any accidental fires. Thanks so much for the help KeyBlu! The two people I turn to for advice on insects are saying I should be ok with the nematodes and mites and may be able to start new springtail cultures without any mites and still keep the old ones. I'm worried about my isopods though since I know they need the moist environment to survive, I might just have to take them out one by one (not fun with 1000 of them!), but I'm trying to avoid that if I can since I don't know how well they'll take a new substrate (currently using a substrate I got from bugsincyberspace and my new substrate would be coconut fiber and leaves and soil from a bag I bought at a gardening shop).

Idean12

Original Poster
Also, would beneficial nematodes do damage to my springtails? I'm hoping my springtails will just keep breeding and outbreed the mites and nematodes but right now there seems to be 5 mites for each springtail and my hopes aren't high. I'm very happy that I moved about 10 springtails into a sealed cup with some soil and they've boomed since, I'll probably use those springtails to start new colonies.

KeyBlu422

Juvie Member
Well, what gardeners call "beneficial nematodes" it just means they can kill pest insects like in the soil. So, while its not an absolute guarantee that the nematodes can kill your colony, I definitely think that it's a good idea that you set up an alternate colony as springtails/Isopods are bugs who hang out in the soil.

Idean12

Original Poster
Sigh, it seems yet another species of mite has joined the crusade against my isopods. These ones closely resemble orbatids, however, they are completely white. I'm hoping they are just a species of orbatids and won't do any harm to my isopods but currently I'm under the impression that all these foreign invaders will negatively impact my colonies.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Just wanted to add that you need to keep them far away from your reptiles. Mites can travel across your room and infest every tank you have which would be a nightmare if these are the red mites. They can hitch-hike on you and end up everywhere. Some people would throw out all the insects if the red mites were infesting their tanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jelynnm
Top Bottom