WORMIES!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gretchen

Hatchling Member
Hi Guys,

Wanted to know thoughts on some of the best worms for my Gretchen. I really haven't had much luck finding any vendors out here that sell a wide variety of worms (my cricket guy only has meal worms on those big green ones (horn works i think). So ill have to order them (found a vendor in Ontario).
I've read some good things about Phoenix Worms and Butter Worms, but looking for suggestions. Looking for either a great staple feeder or something i can give her a few times a week when she sticks her nose up to crickets lol
She's been kind of meh with her crickets lately and also want to try and pop them in her salads :)

Thanks guy and Happy New Year everyone!!
:) Krista

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
You'll probably need to order them in order to get a good variety. Hornworms are good to offer when you can get them. I like silk worms and black soldier fly larvae (calci/repti/phoenix worms) too. I try to avoid shipping in the super cold weather but moderately cold is OK if you overnight with winter packing. You might have trouble getting them across the border so you'll want a Canadian supplier most likely. Have you tried TheWormLady over by Windsor? I don't know of any suppliers in Quebec but there certainly may be some I'm not aware of.

Gretchen

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
CooperDragon":3sqyy5gg said:
You'll probably need to order them in order to get a good variety. Hornworms are good to offer when you can get them. I like silk worms and black soldier fly larvae (calci/repti/phoenix worms) too. I try to avoid shipping in the super cold weather but moderately cold is OK if you overnight with winter packing. You might have trouble getting them across the border so you'll want a Canadian supplier most likely. Have you tried TheWormLady over by Windsor? I don't know of any suppliers in Quebec but there certainly may be some I'm not aware of.

Hey!!! Yah I read about WormLady and checked out her website earlier today. Also found ReCorp which is also in Ontario. Prices seem to be good. Just emailed them to enquire about shopping with our weather we've had. So are they good as a staple or every now and Then? And no Quebec doesn't have any suppliers of course. We're lame like that lol ? I'll try some hornworms next time I get crickets my guy always has them just out in the open lol they look so creepy

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'd keep with crickets as the staple but offer the rest on rotation as you can get them. The more variety you can offer, the better. Hornworms look creepy but they are really soft and cool. Big goofy caterpillars really. Darwin loves them.

Gretchen

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
CooperDragon":izw4fjjk said:
I'd keep with crickets as the staple but offer the rest on rotation as you can get them. The more variety you can offer, the better. Hornworms look creepy but they are really soft and cool. Big goofy caterpillars really. Darwin loves them.

Ah good to know. Thank you!!!
?? Gretchen has claimed the cat bed lol
93727-7869893466.jpg
93727-2502532383.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Looks like a cozy spot! They seem to like stuff like that. I put a small dog bed in the window for Darwin and he can sit there looking outside for hours.

76248-7218086878.jpg

Gretchen

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
CooperDragon":nod9dcuj said:
Looks like a cozy spot! They seem to like stuff like that. I put a small dog bed in the window for Darwin and he can sit there looking outside for hours.

76248-7218086878.jpg

So CUTE!!!
so my order of worms got delayed because they were shipping it to my house instead of my work and if i'm not home they won't leave it at the door even if i told them its OK lol.
so with that being said Gretchen will only be treated to some worms on Monday when they arrive. tonight however since i need to go get crickets, i was thinking i would pick up a Goliath worm (hornworm) since my store always carries them as a surprise for her. Have you tried them with Darwin?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yep. Hornworms are a staple in Darwin's rotation. He loves em as much as silks and they are big and filling.

Gretchen

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
CooperDragon":3q3zqo61 said:
Yep. Hornworms are a staple in Darwin's rotation. He loves em as much as silks and they are big and filling.

Aaaaaaand all the hornworms he had left were dead lol my luck today has been complete crap with insects ??? on that note how often does Darwin get horn/silkworms ?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's frustrating. I can usually keep them a week or two. After they go through all of their food I wrap them up and put them in the wine fridge to bring their temps down. Darwin can usually pick off a 12 pack in a week easily though. He gets them every few months I guess. It depends. I've been wanting to order some more for him since he woke up from brumation but the weather is too cold to ship them. Since bugs are secondary to his salads I try to focus on keeping a rotation of fresh veges on hand. He has his (nearly out of control) roach colony in the basement so he is fine without his worms if he has to =)

Gretchen

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
CooperDragon":1z9elw3x said:
That's frustrating. I can usually keep them a week or two. After they go through all of their food I wrap them up and put them in the wine fridge to bring their temps down. Darwin can usually pick off a 12 pack in a week easily though. He gets them every few months I guess. It depends. I've been wanting to order some more for him since he woke up from brumation but the weather is too cold to ship them. Since bugs are secondary to his salads I try to focus on keeping a rotation of fresh veges on hand. He has his (nearly out of control) roach colony in the basement so he is fine without his worms if he has to =)

Soooo frustrating. But crap happens when you order stuff all the time so nothing I can do. Speaking of veggies. Gretchen still sucks at eating them. I've tried everything lol she better get it together soon. Veggies aren't cheap lol

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
They are cheaper than bugs and you can share them (and feed them to bugs). Sautee some onions and garlic and cook up the leftover collards with some chicken broth. Not so bad =). Or... blend them into a smoothie or something wasteful like that. :dontknow:

Gretchen

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
CooperDragon":2oiodis6 said:
They are cheaper than bugs and you can share them (and feed them to bugs). Sautee some onions and garlic and cook up the leftover collards with some chicken broth. Not so bad =). Or... blend them into a smoothie or something wasteful like that. :dontknow:

Lol oh I share everything I get her just hurts the heart knowing she just won't touch them (YET). I guess i was just blessed with the picky dragon ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom