Dubia Colony Smell. Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MostBeast

I need help with my dubia. My colony is a little over a year old now, and it was doing splendid. Recently, I had some mass die-offs of adults, but I figured some of them were just reaching the end of their lives. It was probably around 10 a day dying. This started early December, and I completely cleaned and washed out the colony twice since then, replacing egg crates both times. I spot clean all dead bodies every 2 days or so. I've noticed quite a strong smell. In the beginning, it did smell, but only a faint "roach" smell. Now it's the same smell, just amplified. Granted, I have way way more roaches now than I ever did. I would estimate around a few thousand. Is my colony just getting too big for the tub? Any advice for keeping the smell down? I'd appreciate any and all comments.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's possible they are overcrowding a bit. They shouldn't be smelly though. Is there any rotting food in there? Has the humidity gotten higher causing mold or maybe bacterial buildup? If so I'd try to dry the air a bit for a while and see if that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcidicReality
Top Bottom