Dubia Roach Males to Females?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Millitrix

Hello,

So, I've very recently (as in today) started a dubia roach colony. When I bought the roaches online I specified that I wanted half females, half males but for some reason they only gave me like, 2 females, a bunch of males, and even more nymphs... I mean, they're fairly big, but it's not obvious if they're male or female yet.

I was wondering if I should buy more females for breeding purposes or wait for the nymphs to get older, because some of them could be females? Is there, like, a certain ratio of males to females you need to keep when starting a colony?

Thank you!

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
2 females is a small number to start with if the goal is breeding, but like you said, the nymphs will grow up into adults eventually if you're planning to not feed from your colony until it establishes.
If you're in a rush to get your colony going, i'd pick up some more females.

-Brandon

Millitrix

Original Poster
Cool, thanks for the reply.

Also, should I be misting the enclosure to get the humidity levels up?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I don't but you can. Just make sure it doesn't get too humid to prevent mold from forming. I've found that they do OK with just the fresh food.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chad03109
Top Bottom