Breeding Roach Set Up Big Enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.

halima16

So I just went to LLL Reptile yesterday to buy supplies for my Dubia Roach colony set up. I am kind of bummed because I should of done more research beforehand and the employees didn't really seem to know how to help me. Anyway, I bought a tank that is 14" x 8" x 10" and I am worried it may be too small. I am only feeding one dragon though and I don't want my colony to get out of hand. I am really not sure how many gallons it is because even the guy at the counter didn't know. :roll:

Then I purchased 25 medium Dubia roaches and the guy at the counter said I could definitely get a colony started with that, it will just take a few months.

Anyway, I am just wondering what you guys think I should do or improve on to ensure I can have a colony sometime in the near future haha.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's about a 5gal. It's pretty small for a full colony but when the colony gets big enough you can just migrate them to a large rubbermaid tote bin. Just cut a big hole (most of the top) and cover it with some mesh screen for ventilation. They seem to like living in the cardboard rolls from paper towels and toilet paper as well as egg cartons. 25 medium may take a long time to establish if there are no adults. I ordered a mixed pack no adults of about 500 to get started and it was a few months before I saw a new generation. The adults are a bit more expensive to buy up front though.

Here is a good care guide for more info on them https://www.southtexasdragons.com/dubia-roaches.html

halima16

Original Poster
CooperDragon":ofcq9w96 said:
That's about a 5gal. It's pretty small for a full colony but when the colony gets big enough you can just migrate them to a large rubbermaid tote bin. Just cut a big hole (most of the top) and cover it with some mesh screen for ventilation. They seem to like living in the cardboard rolls from paper towels and toilet paper as well as egg cartons. 25 medium may take a long time to establish if there are no adults. I ordered a mixed pack no adults of about 500 to get started and it was a few months before I saw a new generation. The adults are a bit more expensive to buy up front though.

Here is a good care guide for more info on them https://www.southtexasdragons.com/dubia-roaches.html

Thanks! I will just keep them in the smaller tank for now and then transfer them over. But I am glad that I am finally getting my colony started.

Should I get some adults or buy more medium sized ones to speed up the process?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
If you want to speed up the process I'd get some adults (esp females at maybe a 4:1 ratio). If you have leftover budget, I'd get some more mixed sizes to increase the amount you have in each generation.

halima16

Original Poster
CooperDragon":5midfasw said:
If you want to speed up the process I'd get some adults (esp females at maybe a 4:1 ratio). If you have leftover budget, I'd get some more mixed sizes to increase the amount you have in each generation.

Thanks!! Yeah I ended up buying some large ones on Sunday to add to the mix. However, I am not sure where to get adults. The reptile store I went to didn't have any full grown roaches and I heard they tend to feed the females and so you only end up with males anyway.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The adults are a bit harder to find and are more expensive (especially females as you've seen). Don't worry though just keep offering lots of fresh veges and they'll grow up quickly enough. I like to offer the occasional banana, orange slices, or bread slices and they like those a lot as a treat. Squash is a good staple for them but they'll compost most veg scraps happily.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom