Fruit flies in dubia roach cage!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bear333

Hello everyone!

I just recently bought a dubia roach colony about a couple months ago, and I have almost 50 males and females who are breeding like CRAZY and love oranges, carrots, and lettuce. Pretty much the best decision I have ever made, and is saving me a ton of money!! :D However, it's what we call "Fruit Fly Season" in our state, and the fruit flies are invading the dubia roaches and are becoming incredibly annoying and frustrating to deal with :angry5: I just figured they'll die off once it gets below the 30s, and my problems will go away. But I had the most horrible realization! It is always warm in the tank, there is always food, and it's fruit fly heaven in there! They're also starting to invade my house and I kill at least 10 a day all around. Does anybody have any suggestions on how to get rid of these pests?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's the rub with keeping fruits in the tank. Try holding off on fruit and only offering green and veg scraps for a bit and see if that cuts down on the fruit flies a bit. Be sure to thoroughly wash the outside of the fruits before you add them. Putting a cider vinegar & dish soap fruit fly trap near the tank may help cut them down a bit too.

Bear333

Original Poster
I removed the fruit earlier but I never thought about the traps for some reason (which is weird because we sometimes put traps around the house haha). Thank you!!

Ghoul

We have the same issue, but for our hissing cockroaches. We make traps using apple cider vinegar mixed with dish soap - it works pretty well. Keeping dishes and everything clean helps, too!

DanielKnarr

This tricks always work. The best way to deal with these annoying pests is by preventing them from breeding inside your home. Other option to try is:

- Electric Fly Swatters or Fly Catchers can easily fry the fruit out of those flies.

- You can hire someone like pest control Folsom CA to smoke the fruit flies out of your house or leave them dead on the floor.

Keeping clean is still the best prevention. Fruit flies, small in size, but they can cause major havoc. They can indeed become nuisance pests and particularly difficult to co-exist. Therefore, take the immediate steps!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom