Dubia Roach Hesitation

Status
Not open for further replies.

talulabell

I was hoping you guys could talk me into buying Dubia Roaches for my Beardie.

My Beardie is about 10-11 months old. I've had him since he was about 2-3 month old and got him from Petsmart.

I've only ever feed him crickets (Insect wise, he gets all sorts of fruits and veggies.) since I got him but I'm so tired of dealing with crickets. The smell and how quickly they die. I feel like I'm just throwing money away every time I buy them.

Both my husband and I are nervous about buying roaches so I was hoping you guys could give me all the pros to switching and tell me your experiences if you used to deal only with crickets and were hesitant to switch to roaches.

Thanks!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I switched a few years ago and won't look back. The roaches are way easier to care for. They are tougher, will eat veg scraps readily and wind up doing a lot of composting for me, and they don't make noise or stink like crickets. I just have them in a glass tank with a mesh top. They have cardboard tubes to live in and I give them veges every day with occasional treat of a banana, orange slices, or some bread. They just kind of do their thing. It took a few months to get a colony established but they have been thriving for years now.

talulabell

Original Poster
I currently have 2 large cricket keepers with the black tubes that can be pulled out. Would this suffice as a keeper for the roaches or should I use something else?

Thanks so much for your response!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
You'll probably want something bigger for a colony. If you don't have an extra tank lying around, I suggest getting a big rubbermaid bin. Cut a big hole in the top and cover that with some screen. Then put cardboard tubes from toilet paper and paper towels in one half of the bin for housing and put food down on the other half. That should work well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jelynnm
Top Bottom