Too many silkworms!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
well for the past few weeks Ive raised 500 silkworms from eggs. A week ago I decided they grew big enough (still fairly small, around 1/4-1/2" long) to begin feeding to my two bearded dragons, one is two years and the other is four months. Now these worms are growing so fast there is noo way I could feed them all away! I planned on saving 25 worms, and letting them cocoon, hatch and lay eggs but now Im trying to decide what I should do with ~400 silkworms that are 1 1/2" to 2" long. Anyone have any suggestions? Should I let them all cocoon?

P.S. I know adult bearded dragons should mainly be eating greens, but my girl hasnt been eating anything other than insects that I put out for her.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
I’d let more morph since you have an abundance - 25 is a good number but I recently experienced a pretty low fertility rate with my last batch and only had two or three of my 20 something moths turn out to be female. This time of year (in North America anyway) your eggs will most likely go straight into diapause so you won’t have to worry about hatching them al immediately.

Pepper enjoys eating the moths just as much as the larvae.

Parkerbenz

Original Poster
Thanks for the help! Im quite new to silkworms, but ive read that I need to put the hatched eggs in the fridge for weeks or even months, is that true? Also is diapause a temperature thing? I live in florida and we dont get cooler temps till December lol

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Parkerbenz":oalq79iy said:
Thanks for the help! Im quite new to silkworms, but ive read that I need to put the hatched eggs in the fridge for weeks or even months, is that true? Also is diapause a temperature thing? I live in florida and we dont get cooler temps till December lol

Yes, you’ll need to chill them then hatch them. Not sure how long, it may vary. From what I have read diapause is seasonal and probaly related to more factors than just temperature since even in our climate controlled homes the eggs still go into it.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
I've been hatching eggs from Oct-Nov 2016 for the last 4 months (since Jun) , about 200 per month and I'm feeding 4 adult lizards , when they are big (about 2-3 inch long) two each per day per lizard is plenty ( plus some crickets & greens in the case of my beardies ).

Currently have about 70 worms , 40 cocoons, and 16 months , and another batch of eggs incubating (since 13Oct) on the go.

If you have too many worms, you could preserve some worms when they reach 2 inches long by blanching and freezing them - see viewtopic.php?f=76&t=227097

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom