Dubia

Status
Not open for further replies.

KariE

So about a week ago our beardie started having strange poops so we took him in to the vet for an exam and fecal. Fecal came back positive for coccidia so he is now on a regiment of antibiotics. My question is, should I throw away the feeder Dubia’s that I just recently got about a week and a half ago. I know BDs can have some small amounts of coccidia in their system that is not harmful but obviously ours has a dangerous amount hence the medication being given. And I know it can come from stress but I also know it can come from feeder insects as well. And as I don’t know the cause I am hesitant to feed him these Dubia’s but am also hesitant to get rid of them as they are definitely not cheap. We have been buying from Dubia Deli for months now with no known issues. Any advice would be appreciated.

Spec: 5 month old male
45 gal tank
Good ventilation
Reptile carpet (now paper towels until coccidia is under control)
Basking: 105-110
Cool side: 80-85

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
If they have been kept away from other reptiles/animals (and their poop) they should be OK. If you sanitize your enclosure really well - you'll want to use steam, ammonia & water, or F10 - it should prevent reinfection. It's possible he's had it at some level all along. Hopefully the meds will wipe it out completely. Is he on Ponazuril to eliminate the coccidia?

KariE

Original Poster
Yes he is on Ponazuril, 100mg per seringe. Already had first dose yesterday, we were instructed to skip a day (today) and tomorrow he will get his next dose. Then repeat in 2weeks, then another fecal to check if it was cleared up.

The feeders are kept separate (they have their own enclosure) but as I know coccidia is so hard to control/get rid of, I’m scared of chancing decontamination if it were to be the Dubia’s. I did also think of the fact that he may have had this for a while (we have also fed him crickets in the past from PetCo/Petsmart and Phoenix worms). We got him from a breeder when he was 2 months old. He has been growing great and has had a beautiful appetite up until about a month to 3 weeks ago to be honest. We did switch him to a new bigger enclosure (the 45 gal) about a week and a half ago, but I started noticing subtleties a bit before that so I’m actually at a loss as to when he may have gotten initially sick. I am going to email the Dubia Deli tomorrow and see if they have had any issues lately.

Last question, where is the best most reputable place to purchase Dubia’s? Thank you!!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
DubiDeli is pretty reputable. A lot of people order from there. I've ordered from ABDragons and got my colony started with that order.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom