How long for superworm eggs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aziara

Hello all,
I'm getting bug colonies up and running, and the superworms are giving me trouble.

(on another note, I got BSFL adults to breed indoors in captivity! Y'all let me know if I should make a thread about that)

The superworm beetles emerged from their pupae about a month ago. Last week was the first time I saw breeding, but I likely just missed it before. I've got them set up in a plastic tote with a screen bottom (to allow the new larvae to escape from their parents), on top of another plastic tote. I've heard this particular setup is very successful for mealworms, as the natural instinct of the new hatchlings is to burrow as deep as possible. I've yet to see any worms appear in the lower bin.

Are the adults eating their young before they manage to get down to the lower bin? Do superworm hatchlings not have the same burrowing instinct? Or have I just not had any eggs hatch yet? I can't find any information as to the incubation period for superworm eggs.

How often should I supply a water source for the adults? I throw a baby carrot in about every 2-3 days, and they swarm it. I've heard you shouldn't remove the old food, as they might lay eggs on it, so I don't want to overload them with food. I have tons of dried carrots sitting in there as it is...

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Aziara":vn1egyen said:
Hello all,
I'm getting bug colonies up and running, and the superworms are giving me trouble.

(on another note, I got BSFL adults to breed indoors in captivity! Y'all let me know if I should make a thread about that)
<<<<< yes please .... I bought some BSFL and have them in the fridge at the moment , waiting for the wild skinks to start showing up , they are in for a treat !!
And I wouldn't be adverse to breeding my own BSFL

The superworm beetles emerged from their pupae about a month ago. Last week was the first time I saw breeding, but I likely just missed it before. I've got them set up in a plastic tote with a screen bottom (to allow the new larvae to escape from their parents), on top of another plastic tote. I've heard this particular setup is very successful for mealworms, as the natural instinct of the new hatchlings is to burrow as deep as possible. I've yet to see any worms appear in the lower bin.

<<< move the beetles to a fresh lot of bedding weekly , this way some eggs will survive the hungry beetles and in a month or so you''ll see the bedding "moving" and you might be able see the very tiny worms not long afterwards .

Are the adults eating their young before they manage to get down to the lower bin? Do superworm hatchlings not have the same burrowing instinct? Or have I just not had any eggs hatch yet? I can't find any information as to the incubation period for superworm eggs.

How often should I supply a water source for the adults? I throw a baby carrot in about every 2-3 days, and they swarm it. I've heard you shouldn't remove the old food, as they might lay eggs on it, so I don't want to overload them with food. I have tons of dried carrots sitting in there as it is...

can't comment on the carrots (leaving them there) .... not heard that one.

Aziara

Original Poster
I changed out the screen floor for 1/4" hardware cloth. I'm seeing babies appear in the bottom bin!
I guess the screen was just way too small. The eggs probably fall through immediately now. With the small screen, it's likely the eggs just sat on top, and the adults gobbled them up.
There's at least 2 dozen adults in there, but they like to hide under that egg carton lid.
rhmCbbM.jpg

588bX5I.jpg

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Try getting some organic chicken laying mash for the bedding since it is so high in protein & very
crumbly. I have been using it for years for breeding superworms. Personally, I leave the beetles
in the substrate & usually don't change out the substrate but maybe once every couple of months
or so.
I literally put potatoes or carrots on top of the substrate & just throw it out weekly once it dries
out. They can lay eggs on top of the substrate but many times I have seen dig slightly into the
substrate to lay. So make sure it has a little bit of depth to it.
It usually takes 4-5 weeks before they hatch out & they are super tiny so they are hard to see at
first especially if you have white substrate. LOL
You need at least 8-10 beetles to get a decent number of supers going.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom