Roaches for Floridians

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kellee

So I've moved to Florida, and down here Dubia's are illegal :(. I had to sell off my entire colony that was a year old and producing well for me.

To note, I'm trying to feed an adult Beardie who is maybe 4 years old. He's a rescue and is 15 to 16 inches in length.

I'm having a hard time finding a cheap alternative. Right now I'm buying crickets weekly but half of them are dead by time my week is over. I also feed super worms but they aren't too good as a staple.

I'm trying to find an alternative roach to Dubias that don't cost an arm and a leg. Down here stores suggest Discoid roaches but they are literally $1 each. I looked at Orange Head roaches which are okay but smell bad apparently? I'm looking for a dubia alternative that has the same traits, don't fly, rarely climb, don't smell, and are a good staple.

Help???

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Since an adult needs mainly veges you won't need as many bugs which is good (maybe 1 or 2 full bug meals per week). You could order some silk worms or horn worms. Coastal Silkworms in Jacksonville carries them. Here are some florida legal roach options. You could start up a new colony but it may take a while https://capecodroaches.com/t/florida-legal-roaches

Kellee

Original Poster
CooperDragon":2rhfkxpr said:
Since an adult needs mainly veges you won't need as many bugs which is good (maybe 1 or 2 full bug meals per week). You could order some silk worms or horn worms. Coastal Silkworms in Jacksonville carries them. Here are some florida legal roach options. You could start up a new colony but it may take a while https://capecodroaches.com/t/florida-legal-roaches

Yep he gets greens daily and I buy about 60 crickets a week due to the horrible die off I have. He's not a huge bug eater but I do try and keep him eating them so he doesn't lose too much weight.

I can't do horn worms I'd feel so guilty since they're so big xD I bought some silk worms from my local pet store and they were dead.... so I'm cautious on spending even more on dead bugs.

I'd like to start a colony just because I don't feed him often and it will be easier to keep up another roach colony then going out every week to replace bugs xD

Thanks for the list. Do you have any suggestions on those? Any nutrition information?

Kellee

Original Poster
I just really want something comparable to Dubias nutrition wise that won't escape into my house by climbing or flying. I think orange heads might be the best bet. Regardless of potential smell. Going to have to see if they're illegal here.

Edit: nevermind .... illegal :(

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I don't know much about the other roaches aside from what I've read on here. I've heard good things about the banana roaches and I think the horshoe crab roaches are quite close to dubia. Given the prices I see, if you could get a colony established you may be able to sell the extras to make it (eventually) cost effective.

Kellee

Original Poster
CooperDragon":24vs7332 said:
I don't know much about the other roaches aside from what I've read on here. I've heard good things about the banana roaches and I think the horshoe crab roaches are quite close to dubia. Given the prices I see, if you could get a colony established you may be able to sell the extras to make it (eventually) cost effective.

Yep the real pain is how expensive the legal ones are lol. Up north was easy, people sold roaches on Craigslist constantly. I live in the Tampa bay area and have yet to see a feeder bug on there... @.@

Pinellas County Reptiles in Largo FL has Discord’s for $25 for 100 when they have them in medium size. You can order off the website with a $10 shipping charge. So far they are the cheapest I have found and one of the only ones I have found in the area.

Dracarys1

I'm in Florida too (Miami) and I buy discoids for my Bearded dragon. 100 small ones for$13.
I'm trying to find if there's another type of roach more accessible due that not many places have discoids, and some of them are kind of expensive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whokiry weth
Top Bottom