Dubia Overpopulation Risk?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I have been trying to research and prepare for a bearded dragon I plan to get sometime next year. One of the most suggested things to do to save money is to breed your own feeders, and the best feeder is said to be dubia roaches. I see people say that baby dragons can go through 800+ small roaches a week, but they slow down to two or three dozen a week as adults.

This has brought up a question in my mind that I can't seem to find an answer to: What do you do with a giant dubia colony once your dragon doesn't eat through them by the hundreds? It seems people suggest starter colonies to begin with dozens of adults and hundreds of young, what happens after the first year and the dragon isn't eating all the surplus?

1 male for every 10 females, each female making up to 30-50 babies a month... that seems like it would get out of hand really fast only your dragon starts eating more greens then feeders.

Is this just me being paranoid and it doesn't actually happen?

Kellee

You can feed your adults to your Beardie to slow production, or sell the extras on Craigslist, eBay, etc. The cheaper you go the more likely you are to sell them. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom