Roach question and silkworm stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rainclaw

So I've done some research on silkworms, and found a site that I think is pretty good....
http://www.clubfauna.com/articles/invertebrates/breeding-silkworms/

And then I searched about roaches, and it says that you can develop a allergy to the roaches if you start your own colony... now I'm not so sure if I want roaches! Hahaha :? I was considering breeding them because apparently it's easy and young are considered a "by-product" of keeping them, experience?
I found a good site about crickets.... but lost the link....

Rainclaw
:mrgreen:

kyleena29

Sub-Adult Member
I have a colony and no allergy issues. I suppose if you have allergies already you could be prone? Anyhow, they are super easy to keep. I have had my colony for a few years now. I have way too many in fact, wish I had friends with reptiles.
I have read into keeping silkworms or at least just raise from eggs but sounds like very delicate to work with.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Silkworms are very easy see my thread viewtopic.php?f=76&t=222193

Is the allergy to the insects or to their collective fras (poo) ? ....all insects including roaches are very fastidious and clean.

I've had hundreds of crickets in small tubs (60 - 80 insects to the tub) for many years (approaching 10 years now) and exposed to their fras daily when I gather and dust my live feeders for my pet lizards , no allergy yet.

Lilyrose

I have a dubi roach colony that i started, for our single bearded dragon, when my wife and i lived in an apartment two years ago. It was kept under the bathroom sink in our appartment and my wife kept the feeding and water crystals replaced. It was never even noticeable for smell or any other issue.( one of those plastic storage containers. ) It was easy to care for but now that we have a house, they are in the garage and thriving in the warm temperature. It was total worth the time to have the food for our dragon, and now we are contacting our local pet stores and already have interest in the overstock that we have.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Lilyrose":1wzi1sww said:
I have a dubi roach colony that i started, for our single bearded dragon, when my wife and i lived in an apartment two years ago. It was kept under the bathroom sink in our appartment and my wife kept the feeding and water crystals replaced. It was never even noticeable for smell or any other issue.( one of those plastic storage containers. ) It was easy to care for but now that we have a house, they are in the garage and thriving in the warm temperature. It was total worth the time to have the food for our dragon, and now we are contacting our local pet stores and already have interest in the overstock that we have.

don't hydrate the insects using water crystals / gels .... is very bad for the lizards who eat the insects who ate the water crystals / gel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom