Preserving Phoenix Worms/Silkworms?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a good way to preserve excess Phoenix Worms and/or Silkworms, without robbing them of their nutrients? I have heard that when crickets or grasshoppers are frozen, they become much less nutritious to feed -- is the same true for for other feeders? And if so, is there a good alternative? We are thinking about starting up a Phoenix Worm colony, and possibly a Silkworm colony.

We don't have anyone in the area that we can sell extra bugs to, and frankly, I prefer the idea of having a "stockpile" at the ready. But only if there is a good way to do it without depleting them of their nutritional value, of course.

Thanks!

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Here is an approach that I know works (for preserving/freezing excess silkworms) - viewtopic.php?f=76&t=225919

I chill the eggs , and hatch them as needed , see viewtopic.php?f=76&t=222193

I have also blanched and frozen mulberry leaves and this worked fine , see viewtopic.php?f=76&t=221814

Hope that all helps.

Can't comment on how successful blanching and freezing hornworms will be (they have a significantly higher moisture content than silkworms). Or BSF maggots.

CaramelBeet

Hatchling Member
For bsfl (pretty sure that's what phoenix worms are?), they can be stored for several weeks in a little bag with an air hole (I ordered a large group and just left them in the bags they came in, they lasted for several weeks. If you have a wine cellar or similar (8-10°c, but no lower) then they can be stored for up to 6 months (or so I'm told), because they'll suspend all metabolic activity.
That's for the ready to pupate black ones, anyway. I have no idea how it'd go with smaller ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chad03109
Top Bottom