Silk worm chow

Status
Not open for further replies.

ILoveRJ

Juvie Member
I just fed my newly hatched silk worms their first meal (they were pretty scattered around the petri dish so i just put small chunks where i could) last night (my first time hatching silks).
I'm not sure when to give them more. Will they eat it till it's gone? Or will it go bad at some point? I just don't know when i should put fresh stuff in there. Also, i have put the two petri dishes into a small fish tank, can i put fresh food (whenever it is I'm suppose to) on the floor of the fish tank, and will they climb out of the dish to get the food? And if so, what's stopping them from climbing out of the tank if they can climb out of the dish?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I've never worked with silkworms that small so I'm not sure if it's harmful or not to move them. I'd probably opt for a couple of smaller meals per day. With older worms I grate some chow over them (I freeze it as a log wrapped in plastic so it is easy to grate) once per day and replace the paper towel they're on every day or two.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
I use a toothpick to move the tiny baby worms about, an fine artist's brush works well too.

Chow : leave it in place until it:
>> looks dry
or
>> it starts to show signs of white mould starting to grow (goes whiteish).

Place a fresh sliver of chow near the old chow, the worms will promptly move to it of their own accord (this is the safest way).

I check twice a day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcidicReality
Top Bottom