Dubia colony suddenly smells

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had my dubia colony for a couple months now , everything had been perfect , I started with 50 females and 20 males or so and now I have so many I needed a bigger tub to feed more and it seems since the change they have stated to smell enough to stink up my apartment . They're under my dragon viv in my living room and i don't know what to do to get rid of the smell .

I have 3 tubs .
Small tub with small dubia
Medium tub with medium
Large tub for my breeders

I feed alfalfa pellets soaked in water and random fruits and veggies. The smell started before I sorted out the dubias into sizes and so they were all in one big tub and they kept going through their food too fast so I placed 2 containers in there. I think it got too humid and that's when the smell started . I've since then cleaned out the tub and sorted them out but they still smell .

Any tips really appreciated.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The humidity probably led to bacteria growth causing the smell. I would try to dry it out a bit and see if that helps. If you have a ceramic heat emitter you could use that to raise the temps a bit to dry it out. Switching to fresh veges rather than soaked pellets for food may help as well. If it continues to smell bad after a few more days you may need to pull the roaches out and give the bin a good cleaning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jelynnm
Top Bottom