Dubia colony suddenly smells

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had my dubia colony for a couple months now , everything had been perfect , I started with 50 females and 20 males or so and now I have so many I needed a bigger tub to feed more and it seems since the change they have stated to smell enough to stink up my apartment . They're under my dragon viv in my living room and i don't know what to do to get rid of the smell .

I have 3 tubs .
Small tub with small dubia
Medium tub with medium
Large tub for my breeders

I feed alfalfa pellets soaked in water and random fruits and veggies. The smell started before I sorted out the dubias into sizes and so they were all in one big tub and they kept going through their food too fast so I placed 2 containers in there. I think it got too humid and that's when the smell started . I've since then cleaned out the tub and sorted them out but they still smell .

Any tips really appreciated.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The humidity probably led to bacteria growth causing the smell. I would try to dry it out a bit and see if that helps. If you have a ceramic heat emitter you could use that to raise the temps a bit to dry it out. Switching to fresh veges rather than soaked pellets for food may help as well. If it continues to smell bad after a few more days you may need to pull the roaches out and give the bin a good cleaning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom