Pheonix Worm/NutriGrub Temps

Status
Not open for further replies.

PrettyinPurple

Hatchling Member
I just ordered some Pheonix worms to try out with my babies (and the delivery should be here soon - so excited!). I read the guide that's posted here, so I have a small critter keeper, heat pad, proper bread, and apple/strawberry baby food.
My question is this: What is the importance of the temperature guideline? Can I put the heat on the side of the container instead of the bottom? I'm trying to figure out if I can attach the heat pad to my existing beardy tank to provide her with some more heat and where I should put it.
I know this isn't quite for this particular thread, but if I put the head pad on the top of the viv and the grubs on top of that, will it make the inside of her viv warmer? Or should I go with the side where her heat bulb is? Below is a picture of the viv!
92894-8214773307.jpg

PrettyinPurple

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Also PLEASE NOTE that chord that's hanging down above her head in the picture is no longer like that!! I forgot that was in the picture... I noticed it and pulled it through the hole in the tank so she can't get to it!

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
I don't see a basking globe .... and I see a mesh hammock so I think it's worthwhile you running through my cheatsheet , there are likely other aspects of the setup and husbandry than can do with tweeking or changing .

Please don't be upset by my suggesting this, being a noob, you are not expected to have everything setup perfectly from the getgo , it's a very steep learning curve and most noobs start way behind because the shop or even the breeder gives them very bad advise and talks them into buying stuff that is poor quality (but more profitable), so it's not the noob's fault.

Here is my cheatsheet : viewtopic.php?f=6&t=234738&p=1806050#p1806050

If you are methodical , problems will likely pop right out at you . If you are unsure, feel free to ask for more information.

Regarding care of phoenix worms/nutrigrubs/calciworms = BSF maggots : see http://www.herpcenter.com/insect-care-sheets/phoenix-worms-care-sheet/

PrettyinPurple

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I see your care sheet for them and I will definitely check it out!
As for her viv, I have thermometers in all the temperature zones so I can keep an eye on how warm her viv gets and all temperatures follow all the guidelines. I was concerned about her coloring yesterday, but I had just soaked her and she was trying to warm up.
She does have a basking globe. The black fixture that you see has a basking globe in it that keeps the viv in the 90s. Any warmer and she won't go anywhere near it, but if there's ever a concern with heat I have ones that are a higher wattage ready to go.
I'm not sure where you see a mesh hammock. The hammock that is in her viv is not mesh because I have heard nothing but bad things about them on this forum. Her hammock is a safe fabric that I had personally sewn together in the hammock shape. She can get no more stuck to that than she does my shirt and she doesn't even use it anyway. The main purpose for it is to provide shade and a cooler temperature zone where her hut is (which she sleeps in every night).
I might be a new poster, but I'm not a new bearded dragon mom. My other dragon (not posted) is 6 years old and I've had her since she was 1 month old. She is perfectly healthy and happy and eating like a champ. Don't get me wrong, I've definitely been learning a lot through this forum and I'm SO glad I joined. I actually used to have a mesh hammock in her viv and immediately removed it when I saw all the bad things that could happen. I made my own (safe) ones for both vivs and placed them both over their huts so they would have a cooler place to relax if they wanted to.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
BSFL like to be relatively warm, they are native to the southern US, but are tolerant of a pretty wide ranged temps. The biggest impact will be in growth rates. Warm bugs have higher metabolisms and will eat and grow faster, cool bugs slower. You don't actually need to feed them unless you are trying to grow them bigger. I've cultured them outside and they do pretty well from spring until we get a freeze.

Heat pads are not good at warming up the air or surroundings, only things that touch them. I don't see much point in using them in your enclosure, tbh. Does the top of the enclosure get warm? That may be enough to keep the grubs happy. If not the side orbottom of the critter keeper would be fine.

PrettyinPurple

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thank you! I had read on the care article that it's best to get a heat pad and put the kritter keeper on top of it so it can stay in the 90s, I just wasn't sure how critical that was and if it mattered whether the heat was coming from the bottom or side.

charmander16

Juvie Member
I found that growing guide to be way overkill. I just kept my BSLF in an empty container like the one they shipped in and put in a bit of bread ad food scraps and they grew incredibly fast. I just put in like 20 or so in a container at a time so by the time they grew I could feed them off and just dump everything out and start over with a new batch. I never cleaned a container while it contained BSLF, I just fed them off then cleaned if once they we all gone.

I never used any heat I just stored them under the viv in about a 70 degree room. They grew from tiny to huge in 2 or 3 days.

PrettyinPurple

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hmmm okay then maybe I might put them on top of the viv so they get a little heat, but the heat pad seems unnecessary now :lol: thank you so much! This really helps! I'm hoping to get my order today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom