question about feeders

Status
Not open for further replies.

browndm87

I live in the fort worth area of Texas, I am looking into possibly getting dubia roaches or something better than crickets. But I dont know where to get them in my area. At petsmart i can get the crickets, mealworms, and super worms. but i want to give her something that is better to eat, but dont know where to look.

any information would be greatly appreciated.

browndm87

Original Poster
Thank you for the information. I will definitely look into that. Would the Dubia roaches be a good staple for my bearded dragon, shes about 3 or 4 months old? Im just tired of getting crickets and them dying on me and they smell lol. My boyfriend and I live in an apartment, will that be ok to have them in there? if anyone has experience with apartment living.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I use dubia roaches as a staple bug. Switched over from crickets a few years ago. They're a LOT easier to care for and they work well as composters. I throw veg scraps and leftover salads into their bin for them to eat. They like scraps of bread and banana pieces too. Just get a big rubbermaid bin and cut most of the top out. Tape or hot glue a screen over the hole (I have screen on both sides) and put some cardboard tubes in from paper towels and toilet paper for them to live in. Housing should take up about half and a food area should take up about half. That's pretty much all there is to it. One of my colonies is sitting in a bin right next to me in the dining room of my apartment. No smell, no noise.

browndm87

Original Poster
Ok and they cant get out. cause ive lived in a house that had a roach infestation as a kid and it was miserable trying to get rid of them. also my apartment has a pest control service that sprays idk if they come in the apartment unless you specifically ask them to come but i think they spray the outside of the apartment.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I haven't had a problem with them escaping. I only take out a handful at a time though and feed them off one by one.

browndm87

Original Poster
ok cooperdragon, i appreciate all this information. i will go through stuff and learn more before i invest but i am definitely considering getting the dubia roaches, again thank you for all the advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom