wild insects

Status
Not open for further replies.

chameleon7

Hatchling Member
Yes yes, i know ill be told they could have ingested pesticides/have parasites, but i just recently caught some wild snails and keeping them in a large plastic tub setup with fresh lettuce,soil baked in the oven and hides etc. I planned on breeding them,then feeding them to my shingleback skink, since snails will poop out the bad stuff and if i froze them before feeding to kill any nasties would it be okay, i mean i know blueys love them and arent shingles pretty hardy anyway, surely it would be okay. I know some people will disagree with me and tell me im wrong but i thought i would just doublecheck since i saw a few people saying thats what they do for their blueys on another forum, thanks :D

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
I'd avoid using wild caught insects , issues are
<<<< toxins from the stuff used to control them and weeds by the neighbours (you don't know what they use and have no control over it) and wild insects travel.
(might be Ok for the local wild lizards , who have developed a tolerance to them when they eat contaminated wild insects)
<<<< parasites (especially in snails and slugs ....ie http://www.abc.net.au/science/news/health/HealthRepublish_969551.htm

If you breed the wild caught snails and slugs and keep their breeder clean, the next generation should be safe to use.

chameleon7

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
seems like a plan then, unless i just buy the can o snails instead, bit pricey tho.. geez i did hear about the chap who ate the slugs, how unlucky is that poor bugger. also i sent you a pm king, would really appreciate if you replied, but no pressure i know you get lots of questions! :D :mrgreen:

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
chameleon7":244qjo8p said:
seems like a plan then, unless i just buy the can o snails instead, bit pricey tho.. geez i did hear about the chap who ate the slugs, how unlucky is that poor bugger. also i sent you a pm king, would really appreciate if you replied, but no pressure i know you get lots of questions! :D :mrgreen:

Good luck with the can of snails - my BTs gave them the skink eye and ignored them , exactly the same as they did for the can of silkworms .... even the wild skinks wouldn't touch the caned silkworms , the ants liked them though.

If there's a French restraunt in your area, ask them where they get their snails, these will be high quality and paracite free (fit for human consumption) and likely available live or frozen.

I buy George and Mildred a dozen live snails every so often as treats from a place up near Cessnock who cultivates/farms them for the restraunt trade .... not cheap ... but my BTs are worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom