Super worm substrate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,

I usually purchase about 50-100 super worms at a time. The pet store gave me a container with a brownish sand in it. I re use it, the sand has gotten super low so I added vitasand that came with my starter kit (finally a use for it). Is this ok for short term housing? Usually feed them all in around 5-6 days.

Thanks!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

The vitasand isn't a good substrate for keeping superworms on, no. If they do ingest it then it wouldn't be healthy for them, or for your dragon to ingest one with vitasand in it. They would hold very little nutrition.
You can make a substrate bedding out of oatmeal, wheat germ & bran flakes. Or, you can get organic chicken laying crumbles, which is highly nutritous. Then put potatoes, carrots or apples in for moisture.

Tracie

Mysty

Juvie Member
When it cools down again, I will use cheap rolled oats which lasts 2-3 weeks as a substrate. However, in the sunmer I have found it gets mold too rapidly.

I'm currently using corn cob granules and has been good for the last month of so. They do not appear to be eating each other due to having an inedible substrate. They get a lot of veg and scattered oats to compensate.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
1:1 mix of wheat bran and oat bran is what I use.

For moisture I give them chunks or carrot and I also give them the whites from buk choi.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chad03109
Top Bottom