Keeping Dubias Alive

Status
Not open for further replies.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I find that they thrive with minimal intervention. I just feed them veg scraps and occasional orange or banana and they do very well. They'll eat stems from greens, leftover salads, they LOVE squash. They're pretty good little composters.

Mysty

Juvie Member
Dubias are hardy. There's gotta be a good reason why they're dying. Could it be any of these?

1. Too hot? If you use a heatmat to heat the tub, do they have access to cooler areas?

2. Too dry? Misting the tub daily helps dubia to shed succesfully. If they appear to die during shedding, its too dry.

3. Mould? Old food, esp fruit can mould quickly. It can devestate a colony.

Dubias also require dark places to hide and do well with lots of company and little disturbance.

If its not any of these, perhaps you are unlucky and there is something killing the roaches that husbandry cannot fix.

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Thanks for your suggestions guys. They need to be kept warm? I usually just leave in room temperature its around 77/78ish F is that too cold for them?

When should i take out the fresh food from left over salads etc whenever my beardie doesn't eat. Should i clean it up in a day or sooner if not eaten before mold starts?

Mysty

Juvie Member
Put it on top of a viv for easy heat.

They're tropical insects so need heat and a daily misting of the sides of the tub.

The more places to hide the better. Little medicine boxes and tubes will be used if you dont have many eggcrates.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I have my colony split in two at the moment. The main colony is in the basement in a glass 20g long tank with mesh top and a CHE overhead. They have cardboard tubes for housing. The second half is in a rubbermaid bin with the top cut out and covered in mesh.They live in egg crates zip tied together and they sit in the computer room at room temp (low 70s air conditioned). Both halves are doing fine. They will breed more quickly and be happier with warmer temps, but they seem fine at room temp as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom