What would it take to breed BSF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vh621

Hatchling Member
I bought 1000 bsfl from symtons a few weeks ago. A couple days ago I noticed a whole bunch at the top not moving so I figured they died cause I had them for a while, I wasn't feeding them and temps were real high. But I woke up today and there were flys in the container now I realized that they were pupating. (I actually threw a few out thinking they were dead ooops) So does anyone here breed them if so what is the setup like because everything I see on videos is really elaborate and I live in a small apartment. Not trying to mass produce here. Just need a small breeding group and a way to keep them contained. Any advice?

Vh621

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Lol...I've never had them this long so that was new to me. That guide is more for getting the worms to grow a bit, not for breeding the flys. I might have to have a bit of trial and error...lol

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
tumblr_ntz7h2VOrJ1sgcopoo1_1280.jpg

http://skies-of-salt.tumblr.com/post/126297632193/today-on-skies-of-salt-more-of-my-slow-decent

The hydroleca balls in the bottom were not a worth while thing to do, and they ended up using the walls more than the ramps to get out so really you just need a tub (or even a five gallon bucket) with big air holes (maggots to get out and flies get in), some drainage, a bit of dirt or cocofiber in the bottom and a rolled up bit of cardboard glued to the lid. add larvae and kitchen scraps and voila. I cannot stress enough though this is an outdoor hobby - it reeks.

Vh621

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Lol...yea I think I'm just going to feed the flys off...still trying figure out how to do that without them getting out...lol

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Maybe open the tub inside the cage with most of the lid or door closed? The flies aren't very fast or agile.

I think some people use screen enclosures like the reptibreeze to breed them... but honestly the compost smell is not so pleasant that I'd want them in my house. Lol.

Vh621

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I let one in her tank yesterday and it flew right into her uvb light, I had to grab it and hand feed it. Not looking forward to that with multiple flies. Lol As far as the smell goes my mom already complains that my room stinks not looking to add another reason to complain.lol Thanks for the heads up?

Aziara

I raise my BSF in a tilted 5 gallon bucket outside, with a small plastic shoebox sitting under the open end to catch the prepupae. Around the top of this smaller container I put stick-on velcro (stiff side) to prevent crawl outs, and I have a dirt/sand mix in there for them to pupate in.
I wouldn't try raising them indoors, unless it's in a shed where it doesn't matter that it stinks. I've also heard that the adults need UVB to breed... Not sure if that is true. I currently have mine in a shed with open windows, as I had predator issue with wild animals helping themselves to a snack. I've got a lot more windows open than is necessary for the adults, the ammonia smell would knock me out otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daniefran04
Top Bottom