Breeding Waxworms! Dead or alive??

Status
Not open for further replies.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I've never done waxworm breeding but they look dead to me. I'm not sure what the cause would be though. If they're like black soldier fly larvae they turn black and get tough before they hatch to flies. That might be the case here but I'm not sure what the lifecycle of a waxworm is unfortunately. If it's squishy and dark colored then it's probably dead.

DragoTheDragonII

Original Poster
CooperDragon":2hunna2t said:
I've never done waxworm breeding but they look dead to me. I'm not sure what the cause would be though. If they're like black soldier fly larvae they turn black and get tough before they hatch to flies. That might be the case here but I'm not sure what the lifecycle of a waxworm is unfortunately. If it's squishy and dark colored then it's probably dead.

Thanks so much.. I guess my breeding failed :( they are all dying so quickly. I wonder what the issue is

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Have you been following a specific plan or set of instructions? Perhaps something is off with the instructions. Sometimes you wind up ordering a bad batch too for one reason or another. I've definitely made silk worm and black soldier fly larvae orders that die either before or just after arrival. Most of the orders are fine but sometimes something is just off. A brief search turned up this set of instructions. I don't have experience with this though so I can't say if they're correct or effective. http://www.wormman.com/cat_wax.cfm

DragoTheDragonII

Original Poster
CooperDragon":2ue1sucf said:
Have you been following a specific plan or set of instructions? Perhaps something is off with the instructions. Sometimes you wind up ordering a bad batch too for one reason or another. I've definitely made silk worm and black soldier fly larvae orders that die either before or just after arrival. Most of the orders are fine but sometimes something is just off. A brief search turned up this set of instructions. I don't have experience with this though so I can't say if they're correct or effective. http://www.wormman.com/cat_wax.cfm

Thanks! :) I got mine from PetCo they looked well but ended up dying.. oh well some are still doing good!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bearded dragon
Top Bottom