Orange Head Roaches?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys!

I have a 5~month old little guy, and have already been through the mini-dramas of feeding. Went through cricket hell, switched to dubias, tried to get a colony started (it still hasn't become large enough for reliable feeding), accidentally got him addicted to superworms (big mistake for several reasons, I know) and recently bought a deal off ABdragons, mix-sized Orange Heads.

Now, Ive read a few things on this forum about Orange Heads (mostly praise from Rankins haha) and was wondering everyones general take on them. I am thinking about breeding them in addition to dubias. They are much meatier and grow quicker than Dubias, but they also have a harder shell as nymphs, it seems. (Adults are roughly the same hardness, but orange heads are much meatier and heavier)

So...what is your guys' takes on these roaches? Better than dubia? Same? Worth breeding?

I'd love to hear your thoughts!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I've only heard accounts of them from Rankins as well. Pretty good source though =). I think they're certainly worth a try. I wouldn't hesitate to try those or horseshoe crab roaches given the opportunity. Generally speaking, the more variety you can provide, the better.

travisgould

Original Poster
I agree, Zeke really seems to like them. It took him a while to adjust though...

You say variety, generally speaking, is a good thing. Would adding BSFL to his diet be a good idea? We have a local source here that offers 2000 large for 30 bucks and it seemed like a good opportunity, I'm just concerned that he will burn through 2000 in a week. Do you have any experience with them and larger dragons? He isn't "large" like an adult, he is 16 inches and 255 grams, but he sucks back feeders like no tomorrow. Gone are the days where a 1000-order of roaches would last a month ;)

Thanks for your reply!

Anyone else have any experience with Orange Heads?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I offer BSFL, silks, and hornworms in addition to dubias for my adult. Since he eats salads most days of the week and only a bug meal a couple of times per week they last a while. He can put away 50 BSFL as a snack but since it's not his main feeder I can limit them a bit. He really loves it when they hatch and he can chase after the flies.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
BSFL are easy to breed outside of you find he likes them. Pepper has mixed feelings about them but the nice part about breeding them is size variety. I can scoop out the really big ones for him and also tiny ones for my betta fish.

As far as orange heads, I've not seen nutritional assays of them but would assume they are similar to other roaches, high protein & moderate fat. I'd include them for variety if I had them along side whatever else I have (seasonal availability). Without data there is no way to say they are better or worse than any other feeder though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jelynnm
Top Bottom