Dubia Breeder setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

rpaine

Hey guys & gals :) Trying to work on my dubia breeders. I have a 20 gallon high aquarium and a big plastic tub I can use. I would prefer to use the aquarium but the cleaner beetles, and I would assume the dubias can climb the corners on the aquarium sealant. Is there a way to prevent this because if they get out the wife is 86'ing the breeding :) ALso I haven't seen any sign of breeding since I moved them to the tub.
-Ralph

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The aquarium should be fine. I use a 20g long with a mesh top for my colony and it hasn't been a problem. I've never seen them climbing the sides or sealant. A big plastic tub will work too if you cut a nice big hole in the top and screen it off for ventilation.

There is a good article about setting up a colony here https://www.southtexasdragons.com/dubia-roaches.html

rpaine

Original Poster
CooperDragon":3v4b30ne said:
The aquarium should be fine. I use a 20g long with a mesh top for my colony and it hasn't been a problem. I've never seen them climbing the sides or sealant. A big plastic tub will work too if you cut a nice big hole in the top and screen it off for ventilation.

There is a good article about setting up a colony here https://www.southtexasdragons.com/dubia-roaches.html

Could you post a picture of your setup? Anyone else that has a good established colony of Dubia I would be interested in your setups as well. I am willing to invest a bit in establishing the colony but I need to keep my cost for establishing the colony and this months feeders under $100 if at all possible. Currently feeding 1 beardie (approx. 4-5 months old) , a veiled chameleon I would say 2-3 months old and a Leopard Gecko (about 3-4 months old). My goal is to produce enough feeders for these 3 monthly. Once colony begins to produce more than that I am looking at supplying local pet shop & herpers

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
This is my main colony with a MegaRay heat projector hanging above the housing side.
76248-4768611197.jpg

I just recently split some of them off to form a second colony and am using a rubbermaid bin with a hole cut in the top and screened off. Combo of egg crates and cardboard tubes for housing. So far they seem to be doing just fine at room temperature without any artificial heating.
76248-4958329354.jpg

jayce82

Juvie Member
for one if you don't keep them in a dark room or closet they are not going to breed nearly as fast. secondly room tr.p is going to have same effect. the bin needs to be between 83 and 90* for them to produce.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jelynnm
Top Bottom