Flightless Fruit Fly Woes (for anole, not beardie)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need some help and didn't know where else to ask for it.
I have an anole that is so little she can't really have anything but Drosophila Hydei fruit flies. I was wondering if anyone had experience caring for and even breeding these little buggers. I may have messed up already. I have two vials of flies but there's nothing but pupa and larvae in them. She's eaten a few of the larvae but I was hoping to move all of the little worms into a better enclosure with better food and possibly better temperatures for growth. They aren't really growing much and I haven't seen any adults emerge in a couple weeks plus one of the vials is older and smells absolutely awful. Any suggestions?

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
MyAngelLokki":39lo89xq said:
I need some help and didn't know where else to ask for it.
I have an anole that is so little she can't really have anything but Drosophila Hydei fruit flies. I was wondering if anyone had experience caring for and even breeding these little buggers. I may have messed up already. I have two vials of flies but there's nothing but pupa and larvae in them. She's eaten a few of the larvae but I was hoping to move all of the little worms into a better enclosure with better food and possibly better temperatures for growth. They aren't really growing much and I haven't seen any adults emerge in a couple weeks plus one of the vials is older and smells absolutely awful. Any suggestions?

How big is he (grams) ?

I've fed really little skinks and might have some suggestions.

The other options are blowfly gents, small silkworms (under 1cm long), really small roaches, crickets or locusts .... these would all be on the menu in the case of really young water skinks and delicate brown skinks( which the ones I encounter most frequently in my garden).

MyAngelLokki

Original Poster
Last time the vet weighed her she was 3 ounces(85.0 g) down from 5 ounces but I'm sure she's smaller now :( She's eaten a few larvae in front of me but never alot. I think she may be dehydrated again but since she's eating I'm not sure. She's just painfully skinny.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
85g , so she's not exactly a tiny lizard. Way you were talking I thought your anole was only about 1g to 2g in body weight (about the size of a baby water skink or juvenile delicate skink).

Why is she restricted to Drosophila Hydei ? she'd have to catch and eat hundreds of them per day to just sustain her.

Why don't you upsize her feeders from those near microscopic fruit flies to insects such as :

>> BSF maggots (very good feeders , very rich in calcium)
>> Blow fly gents
>> small (1.5in) and medium (2in) silkworms
>> 1/4 to 1/3 size crickets or similar sized roaches or locusts.

+ the occasional mealworm or waxworm as treats ....

http://reptilianyex.tripod.com/id15.html might help.
see
The enclosure needs to be kept between 75˙F (24˙C) and 80˙F (27˙C) during the day and between 70˙F (21˙C) and 75˙F (24˙C) at night and a basking temperature (near the heat light) of 90˙F (32˙C). Like with all other diurnal (awake during the day) lizards. They will need a UVB producing light. This light needs to be on for 10-12 hours a day. During this time, the light will provide enough UV rays for proper digestion and release appropriate amounts of vitamin D3 to allow for calcium absorption. Without a UVB light it is extremely likely for your pet to get a medical condition called MBD. This stands for Metabolic Bone Disease which is fatal if not caught early enough.

do you have her tank temperatures set up right ?
do you have proper levels of UVA and UVB for her ?

photo of her setup and lights please
and of her so we can see how big she is will help.

If she's not eating the prime likely causes are inadequate UVA , inappropriate tank temperatures , too small a prey insect .....

MyAngelLokki

Original Poster
*She's in a 12x12x18 inch front opening ExoTerra gecko tank
*She has 50 watt blue day bulb, a 13 watt UVB bulb, and a 50 watt night bulb.
*Temperatrue adverages about 70-80 F with an 80-90 F basking spot
*Her lights are on a 12 hours on (day and UVB) and 12 hours off (night) timer
*She's by a window
*Humidity averages 70% - 80%
*She has coconut fiber substrate that I wet before I put in her cage and I spray her 2-4 times daily
*She does have a history of mouth rot resulting in a slightly deformed jaw
*I believe she's stunted she's barely 3 inches from snout to vent and I have been told most anoles averaged 5-7 inches
*The space between her eyes is barely a centimeter and she appears to have trouble chewing even the smallest bugs

I've been looking into small feeders but the smallest I've found have been crickets 1/8" and they are pretty big to her and by the time she gets around to eating them most are dead or twice the size she needs. I've been looking into roaches too but even the nymphs seem pretty big. I did spot a site selling day old crickets but I can't find it now and by the time they get to me they will most likely be too big for her. Sigh...:(

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
MyAngelLokki":1aoh63cj said:
*She's in a 12x12x18 inch front opening ExoTerra gecko tank
*She has 50 watt blue day bulb, a 13 watt UVB bulb, and a 50 watt night bulb.
*Temperatrue adverages about 70-80 F with an 80-90 F basking spot
*Her lights are on a 12 hours on (day and UVB) and 12 hours off (night) timer
*She's by a window
*Humidity averages 70% - 80%
*She has coconut fiber substrate that I wet before I put in her cage and I spray her 2-4 times daily
*She does have a history of mouth rot resulting in a slightly deformed jaw
*I believe she's stunted she's barely 3 inches from snout to vent and I have been told most anoles averaged 5-7 inches
*The space between her eyes is barely a centimeter and she appears to have trouble chewing even the smallest bugs

I've been looking into small feeders but the smallest I've found have been crickets 1/8" and they are pretty big to her and by the time she gets around to eating them most are dead or twice the size she needs. I've been looking into roaches too but even the nymphs seem pretty big. I did spot a site selling day old crickets but I can't find it now and by the time they get to me they will most likely be too big for her. Sigh...:(
Nothing sticks out at me .... other than 12hr days and very small footprint of the tank.

Have you been to the Anole facebook groups or the anole message boards - someone who is experienced with anoles might spot something that needs a tweeking.

Maybe bump up the daily hours a few hours per day - more time for the anole to stay warm and bask and absorb more UVA and UVB .... might be all that's needed

And
I'd be trying her on
Blowfly gents (very soft and squishy)
BSF maggots (phoenix worms (USA)
small small (0.5inch long) silkworms (very soft and squishy).

This is a couple of day after hatching
jfj9ea.jpg

About a week after hatching
2192dz5.png

This is what 14 day old silkworms look like
2yxg4fd.gif

measurements are mm and cm.

Hatch your own crickets and or roaches , this way you will have continuous supply of the right sizes on hand , you could order in some silkworm eggs on a regular basis and hatch them, in a week the silkworms will be looking like little white worms and the right size, you may even be able to order week old silkworms .

BugPie made as skinny worm shaped bits , kept nice and soft might be good too. If I'd known about BugPie when I had Lucky to care for , I'd definitely given it a try as his protein & calcium staple.

My little rescued water skink Lucky started off about 5g and he had a broken lower jaw (next doors cat was attacking him and either bit or clawed him there) , I had to get mealworms and mealworm pupae and cut the tops / heads off them and squeeze out the gooy innards and he would eat that off the worm / pupae as I held them in my finger tips. Lucky's mouth and jaw was too sore to chew insects with hard exoskeletons ,I did see him eat a few very small just emerged mealworm beetles (while they were still white and very slow and very softshelled .... but these were very rare occasions with lucky and only when he'd been in my care for about 4 months and was finally taken off oral antibiotics by the vet , his apetite started growing then.

At the time I had no crop needles and this was the only way I could get food into him.

This might be your only option with this pet anole.... one thing .... you'll form a great bond with the anole doing this , and you might be doing this for it's entire life (IMO Lucky was worth the effort to give him a good life).

Giving him some medihoney (Manuka honey) by mouth using a small syringe might help with any problems in his mouth - has natural antibacterial and antiviral and antifungal properties , and even better is nice tasting so he will enjoy getting his medihoney dose each day.

MyAngelLokki

Original Poster
I'll try the Anole Forums but for now she seems to be improving. I've offered her small roaches but she didn't take them so I'm back to syringe feeding her a concoction of powdered crestie food and crushed anole dry food mixed with water to form a paste. She's taking the gecko food quite well and that's how I brought her from the brink the first time. I feel so bad about letting her get this far. I'd been ill recently and I don't have much help from my housemates in taking care of my babies when I can't. Fruit flies were easy and the only thing she'd eat in front of me, plus she seemed to enjoy them immensely. Thank you for ya'lls advice. She appears to be doing a bit better. Last night she appeared bright green for the first time in a few days so I think she's getting a little better. Lately she's been kind of a puke green but again she's more active now that I've been syringe feeding her and she's even more comfortable in my hands now. I think she knows I'm trying to help. She actually asks for the food goo now (I know that sounds crazy but she does this thing with her mouth only when she's hungry) and taking it very easily. She's got a long road but I'm hoping I can have the same success I've had before with her. (Not eating and not showing me she's not eating has been a reoccurring problem but I was usually from the mouth rot).
Thanks again guys! I'll totally check out the anole facebook pages if I'm still having trouble and maybe I can convince one of my more squeamish housemates to let me breed feeders. Jarhead thanks you too!

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
MyAngelLokki":22uzuhvj said:
I'll try the Anole Forums but for now she seems to be improving. I've offered her small roaches but she didn't take them so I'm back to syringe feeding her a concoction of powdered crestie food and crushed anole dry food mixed with water to form a paste. She's taking the gecko food quite well and that's how I brought her from the brink the first time. I feel so bad about letting her get this far. I'd been ill recently and I don't have much help from my housemates in taking care of my babies when I can't. Fruit flies were easy and the only thing she'd eat in front of me, plus she seemed to enjoy them immensely. Thank you for ya'lls advice. She appears to be doing a bit better. Last night she appeared bright green for the first time in a few days so I think she's getting a little better. Lately she's been kind of a puke green but again she's more active now that I've been syringe feeding her and she's even more comfortable in my hands now. I think she knows I'm trying to help. She actually asks for the food goo now (I know that sounds crazy but she does this thing with her mouth only when she's hungry) and taking it very easily.
<<< ha! not crazy at all..... I see this kind of behavior frequently from wild skinks that I've befriended and give food treat (mealworms, dead crickets) to .... they race up and grab their treat and then back off a little initially, then when they know you are not a danger , they stay there right next to me if I'm sitting on the steps , the yard paths, the garden , the lawn and beg me for more with the wee head flicks , maybe a wriggle of the tail and the "gimme gimme gimme" stare.

She's got a long road but I'm hoping I can have the same success I've had before with her. (Not eating and not showing me she's not eating has been a reoccurring problem but I was usually from the mouth rot).
Thanks again guys! I'll totally check out the anole facebook pages if I'm still having trouble and maybe I can convince one of my more squeamish housemates to let me breed feeders. Jarhead thanks you too!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jelynnm
Top Bottom