Bugs on-line

Status
Not open for further replies.

ILoveRJ

Juvie Member
Any ideas on the best places for ordering roaches and BSFL? Also, is it true that BSFL do not need to be dusted with calcium?

ILoveRJ

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Sorry but I was also wondering what a safe amount of time is for a beardie to be in the tank after eating, for proper digestion. I usually make sure I feed him dinner 2-3 hrs before lights out, but like on weekends when I want to hang out with him, I just hate that he has to stay in there for so long after feeding him

YoursTruly

Juvie Member
Sorry, what are BFSL? I order dubias from Dubi Deli, and they're wonderful. They're very high quality and my little girl loves them. We actually just ordered a starter colony from them. I'm looking forward to raising my own feeders now.

YoursTruly

Juvie Member
Don't know yet! But keeping roaches even in small amounts has been super easy so far. I keep them with egg crate, feeder cubes, and cleaner beetles.

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
Not sure what the "feeder cubes" are, but there are a few beetles/worms that people put in their roach bins. They eat the dead roach bodies and roach waste. I use lesser mealworms in my Dubia' and orange head roach bins. I don't have them in my ivory head roach bin because the colony is small.

Jami42500

Vet suggested doing a colony...never heard of beatles...also anyone know how likely to become allergic to dubia seen some posts about it

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
Yes, a colony if roaches is easy to maintain and a good idea. I like orange head roaches much better than Dubia. I have 3 species of roaches.
If you have roach allergies, obviously roaches could be problematic.
Roach allergies are really common. I am horribly allergic to hissing roaches, I use to breed huge numbers of them. A few trips to the ER because I couldn't breath encouraged me to get rid of them. Weird thing is I'm not allergic to my dubia, orange heads, or ivory head roaches.
People can become sensitive to them due to exposure...so allergies to them can develop.

Jami42500

Can I keep them in an unused closet I haven't seen where they need light. Just seems odd to hide them there but I don't want me or my daughter to get sick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom