Nature Zone Cricket Breeding Kit

Status
Not open for further replies.

DKchewie

I have been looking for ways to save money when buying crickets for my bearded dragon Chewie. I have tried breeding some of my crickets before, but didn't succeed. I have been looking into this cricket breeding kit, but not sure if it will really work. Please, if you have any suggestions tell me, I am a middle school student, relying on B-Day and Christmas money to get her crickets.

-DK

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I haven't tried the kit so I can't really say if it's effective or not or if it's cost effective. You may want to read more about breeding them and see if you can rig something up on your own for less money or not. http://www.anapsid.org/crickets.html

I found it MUCH cheaper to order them in bulk online every month or so and keep them in a bin (20g tank w/mesh top in my case) and feed them vegetable scraps and house them in cardboard tubes from paper towels and toilet paper. This cost about $30 per month for 1,000 crickets vs a lot more at the local pet store.

In the long run, I've found dubia roaches much more hardy and easier to care for. They cost a bit more up front unless you can find someone locally who has extra they want to part with. Once you get a colony started they are self sustaining and you just need to feed them and keep them relatively warm. An established colony will provide more bugs than you need for a single dragon and are much cheaper in the long run after the initial investment to get the colony started. I recall spending about $60 or so for a few hundred mixed size roaches to start with (no adults, those cost more but will get the next generation going more quickly) and used my 20g tank with mesh top for them. After a few months I started to see the new generation and they were well established after 6 months or so. If you get more or add adults this will happen more quickly but cost more up front. Here is some info about their care http://www.southtexasdragons.com/dubia-roaches.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom