That moment when your cricket enclosure gets knocked over

Status
Not open for further replies.

OxBox

Needless to say the kitten found her way in the dark to it (29qt container from lowes with air vents). The tiny crickets and occasional larger one got out. Bonus room is my office/vicarious/reef tank so I collected 50 or so and only a couple have made it downstairs. Cats have been having fun and I'm trying to teach my clownfish to eat the small ones.

Cricket bins/hornworms/bsfl are in a seperate closet now. Building my crossfire stand to hold my equipment and be locked.

Could have been worse and the shipment box ripped open on the stairs. ?

? Time now.

Ox aka Will

OxBox

Original Poster
Oh I've been finding more today. Maybe 5-10 total. I've just started smashing them vs catching and feeding just bc they may have gotten in the litter box in an offshoot room.

I did keep imagining them crawling on me most of the night lol. My wife found two today downstairs. Fortunately those were the only ones. With all the fun I forgot their water gel. Putting some in now.

Zombiepanda

Juvie Member
A while back I ordered a batch of 1,000 1/4" and the guy sent me a mix of everything from pinhead to 1/2". I hit that same point of "it's easier to squish them than catch them!!!"

OxBox

Original Poster
Zombiepanda":2uwkagt3 said:
A while back I ordered a batch of 1,000 1/4" and the guy sent me a mix of everything from pinhead to 1/2". I hit that same point of "it's easier to squish them than catch them!!!"

Yes I will definitely be doing medium and up next time... She's 18" so large are fine but I like medium better-gives her more of a challenge. :)

And cats are no good-they play with them and don't kill them too often.

Zombiepanda

Juvie Member
Awww I can't wait til Mags is that big!!! I accidentally got a bigger size than I should have after the tiny cricket fiasco and the little booger REFUSED from that point on to eat small crickets. She legit snubbed them and would only eat big ones(totally stressed me out).

Haha cats are like kids, do completely opposite of what you need them to do ???

Mordecai

Juvie Member
I dropped a cricket keeper with 250 crickets in it on my kitchen floor. I freaked out. Luckily they had just been shipped to me and it was a little on the cool side outside where they were on the porch so they didn't move much and I was able to just scoop them back in the container. Lost maybe 20 cats got those ones. Oh how I hate bugs.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
I knocked a Piscus medium cricket tub off the coffee table once , only about 40 crickets in it, little buggers move fast and disappear even faster (under furnature), on the occasion my wife and I were chasing crickets with the Bug Blaster vacuum most the day, and recovered maybe 2/3 of the crickets, and a few more overnight (they tend to come out of hiding at night).

Also mr.fumblefingers (me) has dropped the dusting tub (a little plastic chinese sauce tub) a few times and had crickets going in all directions.

Fortunately in the warmer months we get a regular guest ( a resident wild water skink) who takes up residence inside the house (this has been going on for longer than I've kept captive bred lizards as pets and before my first rescue (Lucky the water skink, rescued from next door's cat). The resident wild house lizard usually finds the crickets I can't find and makes a meal of them. Our little guest Cheakie (the current house lizard) is looking very well fed - she's been coming inside and staying , lives inside / under / behind the modular lounge and this is her 2nd summer with us, originally she was living under the back porch (with her mother who was our house lizard for about 9 years and disappeared last spring).

If you have a resident wild or tame wild lizard you don't have to worry about rogue crickets lasting long.
(Lizzy , Cheakie's mom was tame enough to take crickets and mealworms from my fingers and open up turned hand, and even to occasionally handsurf.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bugluvr3
Top Bottom