BSFL Shelf-Life?

Status
Not open for further replies.

D4saken1

I was googling but I didn't find an answer for how long they will keep before you have to worry about them dying off.

I know you cannot refrigerate them so I was just curious. I can make my butterworms dormant and get greater quantities but I need to get an idea for BSFL so I can incorporate them into my dragon's diet.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Usually a couple of weeks at least. More if you can put them in a wine fridge and keep them between about 50-60f. I've kept them up to a month before they start to morph into flies which are also a great treat. They're slow moving and easy to catch if they get out of the container.

charmander16

Juvie Member
I've stored them for months. I bought some back in October of 2016. I had too many. I had 2 containers that I had just left in the basement and forgotten about. I went a opened them about a week ago (Feb 10ish 2017), and the soil was totally dried out and yes there were some dead ones, but overall I'd say that at least 1/2 if not 3/4 were still alive. I sifted out all the soil and rinsed them with water then put them in with some cooked butternut squash and bread and they are doing just fine now and are growing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zazzep
Top Bottom