Unbelivably Confused About Superworms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
I don't think mealworms or superworms are evil. My main concern is the word "staple", moderation is totally fine as far as I'm concerned.
As for what feeders to breed you could try crickets. They can be difficult, and it takes a bit of room. I use to hatch out about 10,000/month.
The roaches are the easiest and are a excellent food source.

Skipper7

Juvie Member
Are you able to order in bulk online? I want to say mealoworms are fine if your little one is handling them well..... But I really can't. Nutritionally wise they aren't the greatest and there is always a risk of impaction.

Perhaps someone else has some better information for you.

Would you be able to handle small size roaches? One quarter of an inch? You can get 1000 of those for $30.

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
Noticed you clarified the post a bit Skipper, now I understand :)
I know ABdragons has the best deal on orange head roaches I have ever seen. Last I checked they were comparable in price to Dubia's. I paid much more for the 50 nymphs I started with. Most places want about $30/100. That will be my expo price.

D4saken1

I share the same confusion I understand fat content but my reptile local shop (who seems like a jack of all master of none) has fed the beardies he keeps and sells on dubia and superworms.

I see the fat content is high and I am paranoid about crickets since I have had a pet die once due to parasites from a cricket (plus their are noisy smelly bastards).

I am not sure what else to feed. Honestly I got tight on cash this paycheck so I cannot afford the dubia counts they need since they are so young and seem to gobble down a ton even with their worms and cilantro. (80/20 I/V)

Should I look into silkworms? They seem not very viable but low on fat..

Does a trifecta sound doable? Dubia/Super/Silk?

I keep worrying I'm going to kill them now or something. They have normal bowel movements and are 100%healthy and have been on supers (mostly and a few dubia) since they were born basically.

I cannot have a colony either due to my wife. Even though they aren't like roaches in the south where she used to live she can't get over the disgust of them.

These guys can blow through 100+ (3/4 - 3/8) a day easy if dubias were their main source.

They are hmm.. 12 smaller roaches today and about 45 medium supers today and a bit of their cilantro.

I understand they take a lot to feed it's just a surprise bill litterally reared its head the night after I got my beardies home.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Skipper7":3uwcmvvl said:
Keep in mind that Beardies have a kink in their digestive track that doesn't straighten out till around 16 inches. This is where they get stopped up as little ones.

Do you have evidence to support this?
I hear it air but can't find it documented anywhere.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
massconfusion149":2asvgebv said:
Rankins":2asvgebv said:
I'm not talking about poo... :)
I'm talking about a bolus of undigested food being thrown up.

Ok, we'll haven't seen that either. And while at my sisters place, he was fed only mealworms, salad and calcium powder... he had normal, formed poo... when I brought crickets in, poo was runny. With BSFL it is not as runnyou but still is. So, if runny poo is bad and mealworms are bad and crickets cause parasites, which is the cause for runny poo? Mealworms were good, regular and solid wherected anything else is not.

Changes in diet can lead to changes in wastes. Had the dragon been tested for parasites? Is the poo extra wet or diarrhea?

D4saken1

Rankins":3mfo6hhe said:
How many dragons and how big are they?

There are two and they are about 2 1/2 months old. (Hatched 10/26/16)

I can't find my tape but I used a 8.5 x 11 and here is what I could best tell for size.

Male: the male is about 8.5'
Female: she is over the paper by an inch so 12'

Skipper7

Juvie Member
Taterbug-

I should clarify. No, I cannot find and don't know if this is really true. I've accepted it and followed it just to be safe. However, you are correct. I don't know.

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
I have heard it before also but haven't found any supporting data on it. I tried to find something valid about it last night and didn't come up with anything. But it has worked well for you Skipper, so valid or not...it was still valuable :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnstorm07
Top Bottom