Are floral gel beads ok to use for water

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lana

I got these from Dollar Tree. Are they OK to use for dubia roaches? I have some coming next week and want to make sure I have the right thing.
89777-1478093271.jpg

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
I would have to say no! The chemicals used in these things could kill your roaches or worse, kill your dragon if they ingest it. I wouldn't risk it!
Having to ask means you're not sure and, if you're not sure don't do it.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
No.

The insects eat the polymer, and the lizards eat the insects, where do you reckon the polymer winds up accumulating .... not good ....

Lana

Original Poster
Thanks for the help. Then the crystals that people use are made of a different material and are safe to use or just use veggies? New to this, so want to be sure.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Gormagon":1izixj1o said:
I would have to say no! The chemicals used in these things could kill your roaches or worse, kill your dragon if they ingest it. I wouldn't risk it!
Having to ask means you're not sure and, if you're not sure don't do it.
Again refer to the above^^^^

Lana

Original Poster
Ok, thanks. Sometimes it's best to stick with your gut instinct about things.

Dawnes1221

Actually the main ingredient used in the cricket quencher and, the only ingredient in the Dollar Tree floral gel beads, are one and the same.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I think it's best to stick to fresh veges and some fruits to feed/hydrate the roaches. I've had good luck doing that for a while now.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Lana":1h6gz3dh said:
Thanks for the help. Then the crystals that people use are made of a different material and are safe to use or just use veggies? New to this, so want to be sure.

It is the same material (polyacrylamide), yes. Unfortunately the chemical it is made from can be a potent neurotoxin if not processed properly. Agricultural versions have low quality standards and probably are not safe to eat (especially long term). [The problem is not the polymers themselves and more about the toxic residue.] One would hope that the cricket quenchers etc use the food grade version (which do exist) but I wouldn’t put any money on it. Veggies is best :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom