Cricket/Dubias feeder alternatives in Florida !

Status
Not open for further replies.

sskjunonia

Hi everyone ! My husband & I just purchased a baby dragon this weekend @ Repticon. The breeder informed us that small mealworms are a great, safe feeder alternative to crickets. Bought a tub of 500. Now after doing much research, it seems that mealworms are not the best/healthiest option.

Then discovered Dubias, and no...not gonna work living in Florida.

Any suggestions as far as the next best option ? Discoids ? Price point is not a big issue, health of our new baby & lack of stench are of utmost importance !

SDragons

Juvie Member
Dubias are not permitted in Canada either. Our main insect is crickets and we feed silkworms as a treat on the days we buy the crickets.

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
The discoids are the typical Florida legal feeder. However, the polymorphic roach sounds like a good one to me. They have a good reproductive rate, cant climb, get about the same size as dubia, and are easy to care for and are fairly cheap.
A Florida legal I am really interested in is the Deaths Head roach (University of California cultivar) but they are more expensive, reproduce slower, and hard to find. Very pretty roaches though. I have been trying to purchase a colony for a few months now, but I can't get ahold of Kyle at roachcrossing.com. However, I would recommend his website for a lot of information on Florida legals. I would also highly recommend buying from him if you can get ahold of him. He's a really knowledgeable guy and very helpful....I bought my ivory heads from him. However he had to move his entire operation about a month ago...so that may be the reason for my difficulty with contacting him. But if you decide on a roach species, I would try him first.

Bogathedragon

Hatchling Member
i know this is probably a stupid question, but do you offer the silkworms or black soldier fly larvae to the dragon or the roaches?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The worms go to the dragon. I offer them as treats in addition to his main bug meal of roaches. The roaches eat his leftover veges and other kitchen scraps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jelynnm
Top Bottom